Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

GRBL with AdaFruit Stepper Motor Sheild?

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Michael Cruse, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Michael Cruse

Builder

Hello I have been having endless problems trying to get my CNC ready Milling Machine to work,,, The machine itself is a Proxxon MF70 CNC Ready Milling Machine which comes with 3 NanoTec SC4118L1804-KPRO Nema 17 Stepper Motors. I have Purchased myself an Arduino Uno R3 and an Adafruit Stepper Motor Shield: Adafruit Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield for Arduino v2 Kit [v2.3] ID: 1438 - $19.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

However I am a Complete Novice to Installing and Setting Up such machines. This means I have no understanding of how Arduino's, Stepper Motors or any shields boards etc work together. I wish to use Generic G-Code on the machine and need a dummies walk through on the best way to approach the project.

I have approached Proxxon asking if they supply a Control Unit but they have stated they do not supply them separately and therefore i am looking for alternate methods, I would like to keep the project as cheap as possible as i am on an apprenticeship wage (not much) and so far have spent around £200 on stepper motor drivers and other items at the advice of other Arduino related project sites including adafruit themselves. I am greatly appreciative if there is someone out there who can help me as i said earlier i haven't a clue where to start with regard to hardware let alone software.

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. Michael Cruse

Builder

would this be everything i need or would I need anything else?

4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

That plus the Arduino Uno, a power supply, stepper motors and wiring. An emergency stop button is not required but a good idea.