Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

GRBL Problem

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Alan Foster, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Alan Foster

Builder

we are using 0.9 GRBL Controller adn up until this weekend its been bang on, working a treat, problem is one of the lads cut through the USB cable to the controller or well he nicked it slightly and the machine stopped.

Since then we have replaced the cable (5m Usb A to Usb B) albeit a cheap one from Scan computers, but we are getting errors like port is still open or busy, its not sending now, so i'm thinking pay for a dearer one this morning so that should be here in about an hour.

In the meantime has anyone else had any issues, as i did notice a java update was available and i updated that and then the port seemed to connect but not send.

Any help would be appreciated on this, even though i think it must be this crap cable with rubbish shielding as we have had interference problems before if the USB cable was near the stepper transformer.

TIA
    Alan

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

5m is right on the edge of 'too long for USB' so you will need a very good cable at that length.
    I would move the computer closer so that I can shorten that cable as much as possible.

3. Alan Foster

Builder

Thanks David, Yep we figured that out now, trouble is there's a lot of crap leads about, we bought a good metal shielded one for £15 from currys/pcworld its a sandstrom one and works a treat.

Alan

David the swarfer and GrayUK like this.