Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Gradus M1 Pro - Information

Extra documentation for this poorly documented controller.

1. Scotty Orr

Scotty Orr Veteran
    Builder

Scotty Orr submitted a new resource:

Gradus M1 Pro - Information - Extra documentation for this poorly documented controller.

Read more about this resource...

2. Scotty Orr

Scotty Orr Veteran
    Builder

I'm new to CNC, but you mean Estlcam could replace Grbl, correct?

3. alvingm

alvingm Well-Known
    Builder

thanks Scotty for the board info. I managed to update the grbl in my board (mine came with .9f I think) and also updated my vrefs to .75. Managed to get some movement and using 1/8 stepping (copied the grbl settings from the mini mill build)

I’ve only tried UGS so far. Will try estlcam later

Scotty Orr likes this.
  4. Scotty Orr

Scotty Orr Veteran
    Builder

If you've got a PC, you might give grbl-Panel a try. (It doesn't convert arcs to line segments.) Unfortunately grbl-Panel won't work on a Mac (unless you use Windows in a VM). I had a spare PC laptop around, so it is now dedicated to my MiniMill.

5. jhall423

jhall423 New
    Builder

Scotty,

Thanks for the info on the M1 Pro. I'm new to the cnc game and have one of the OX machines I purchased from SMW3D which came with the M1 Pro. I was able to power the M1 and get a few movements out of all 3 axis and a successful start of the router but since then it just quit (still have lights and shows communications on the leds). Cannot get it to move on any of the axis or spindle to start.

I saw your post on flashing the M1 to 1.1. Being a newbie I could sure use some directions on how to do this. Do you have a post anywhere I could look at?

6. Scotty Orr

Scotty Orr Veteran
    Builder

I don't have a post with specific instructions on flashing. You will need to download the Arduino IDE from Arduino - Software . Then you will need to download the grbl source code from Releases · gnea/grbl · GitHub . Then you will need to carefully follow the instructions at Flashing Grbl to an Arduino · gnea/grbl Wiki · GitHub .

In the first page of this resource, I think I mentioned the targets, etc you need to successfully flash the Gradus M1 Pro.

However, the stopping of your machine might not have anything to do with the version of grbl you are running. I had some "stopping" problems that were not grbl related that I tracked down to excessive EMI from my router. If your router isn't grounded (only has two pins on the plug), you will probably need to take care of that. (I ran a wire from my metal router case to the grounding pin of a plug that I plugged into my plug strip. There are various ways to do this - just search for "grounding router cnc".)

7. jhall423

jhall423 New
    Builder

Scotty thanks for the quick reply. I changed several of the settings from a post you replied to and was able to get the machine back moving. Will go through the post on homing and see why the limit switches are not working.

Thanks again for the info and I'm sure I will be a pest before I learn this darn thing!! Happy New Year