Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Getting started with a C-beam machine : what else is needed?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Sky99, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Sky99

Sky99 New
    Builder

Hello everyone!
    I'm used to 3D printing, and need to get started with CNC routers quickly. I've been buying parts to build a CNC, but i don't have enough time to design it fully, and need a CNC for various stuff. The openbuild C-Beam machine seems like a really good kit to start, and i'm really considering buying it.

So, now, i have a few questions concerning this kit : OpenBuilds C-Beam Machine
    1. Is it ok to run it with a Smoothieboard (well i'm sure it is ok, but is it a good match?)
    2. what spindle can i fit onto this machine?
    3. can i use a dremel, to cut small very thin sheets of brass (0.2-0.3mm thick)? or even some 5mm wood, or 5mm arcylic? (at least while i source a suitable router or spindle)?
    4. how do i know if i need a 12V or 24V power supply? (i'm going for the NEMA23)
    5. what is the minimum to get started (i want to have everything i need to start some jobs, to start learning, while other parts are in transit)?
    6. what else do i need?
    If the Dremel is suitable, i have a 3D printer, so i can design and print an adapter. (It may take time to get a proper router, because i'm in french west indies, so i have to find a 220V router, and get it expedited here, in the caribbean).

Thanks in advance!

2. Sky99

Sky99 New
    Builder

By the way, is it harder to use a smoothieboard on it?

3. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

A Smoothieboard is fine. It's probably one of the best documented solutions out there. More information can be found at cnc-mill-guide [Smoothieware]

As far as spindles, a Dremel is okay but you may find its tolerances a little sloppy. As you are in 220V land you might give the Kress routers a look. I've never heard a bad word about them. They are very capable and would be a good match for a C-beam machine.

24V.

C-beam kit, controller board, power supply, computer, spindle & bit, wires and a platform board ought to do it (unless I forgot something). You will need to workout a spindle mount.

Sky99 likes this.
  4. CiaraB

CiaraB Guest
    Guest Builder

Hello Sky99. The OpenBuilds C-Beam Machine Bundle includes the mechanical parts needed to build the machine.
    Below is information on other parts that are needed to complete it and get up and running.

What's Not Included with the Bundle?
    Bling
    We hope this information helps and we look forward to seeing your Build posted on OpenBuilds.com!

Sky99 likes this.
  5. Sky99

Sky99 New
    Builder

Many thanks for your help, i'll look into this :)

6. Sky99

Sky99 New
    Builder

Thanks, i had missed the info about the PSU on the store.

Now only problem is that everything seems out of stock as i'm ready to order ^^
    I hope it comes back soon!

By the way, rather than the 175oz-in NEMA23 i was considering those : NEMA 23 Stepper Motor - High Torque Series
    Beefier, at 345 oz-in this is almost twice the torque. But is it too beefy for this machine? I feel like stronger motors are often better, as i can always tone them down, no?

CiaraB likes this.
  7. CiaraB

CiaraB Guest
    Guest Builder

It's not too strong... In fact when we built a Minimill, we only had a couple of high torques on hand. They work, but they are seriously overkill... the Z Axis is so strong it actually bends the cantilever if we crash into the work accidentally. Save the money and get the regular NEMA 23. Since it is lead screws, the Screw provides a lot more torque than say, a belt driven machine, so you really do not need super motors.

Regarding the bundles being out of stock; we apologize for any inconvenience caused by this. We are currently working on restocking our 8mm Low Profile Screws and expect them to restock this week. We may be accepting Pre-Orders shortly, please keep an eye out on the storefront!

We hope this information helps!

Sky99 likes this.
  8. Sky99

Sky99 New
    Builder

Thanks, that's a great, straightforward answer. I tend to overbuild stuff to have a margin, but i get what you say, i'll do as you said.
    I was also considering buying those for if i need to upgrade the machine down the road, i guess it's wiser to buy larger motors when i need them :)
    Anyway, with such a good support from the team, that's part of what sold me on this, when stocks are back, i'll order a kit :)

CiaraB likes this.
  9. CiaraB

CiaraB Guest
    Guest Builder

Hello Sky99. Thank you for your response.

We appreciate your kind words!

Our Support Team will always be here for you, whether it be on the Forum with our awesome Moderators and Community Members, or through customer service which you can always reach at 'http://support.openbuilds.com/support/home'. We are here for you!

We wish you the best with your Build and will look forward to seeing it posted on the site!

Sky99 likes this.
  10. Sky99

Sky99 New
    Builder

Sorry, one last question : if i use the Smoothieboard, do i need external stepper drivers, such as those ones that you sell : DQ542MA Stepper Motor Driver ?

I'm a bit confused, i don't understand if they are provided or not in the kit!
    Is there a place where i can see the listing of the kit content?

(and great, the machine is back in stock yay \o/ )

11. CiaraB

CiaraB Guest
    Guest Builder

Hello. Thank you for your response.

The Smoothieboard does not require external drivers. The onboard drivers can do 2A which will be plenty into a NEMA 23 Stepper Motor.

We hope this information helps and we appreciate your support!

Sky99 likes this.
  12. Sky99

Sky99 New
    Builder

Many thanks, that's great to hear. As i saw that the max current of the motors were over the current capacity of the NEMA23, i was worried about not getting the full torque of the motors.
    I will thus proceed with my orders,
    again, many thanks, and i'm sure i'll order from you again, and recommend this site :)

CiaraB likes this.
  13. CiaraB

CiaraB Guest
    Guest Builder

Hello. Thank you for your response.

Our pleasure! - We appreciate your kind words.

We wish you all the best with your Build and look forward to seeing it posted on OpenBuilds.com!

14. Sky99

Sky99 New
    Builder

Many thanks to everybody involved in this thread, i ordered my kit, with the recommended bling, and for good measure, an openbuild t-shirt :)

Now i just have to try to forget that i ordered it, so that i don't spend all day refreshing my order page, and later on the UPS tracking page ^^

CiaraB likes this.
  15. CiaraB

CiaraB Guest
    Guest Builder

Awesome!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

16. Sky99

Sky99 New
    Builder

hello!
    I recieved my C-Beam machine yesterday, and started building it today :)
    I've build almost all the machine but the X axis (i didn't have MDF to make the build plate, i'll go buy some tomorrow, cut to size).

I also installed the spindle mount LED module, it fits nicely there...
    I think i'll add a cable chain for the Z axis along the Y axis (i have one laying around), and see if i can have the spindle mains cable going trough there.

For the time beeing, i have only a small dremel as a spindle, and that brings me to the question :
    what router to buy?
    i've read that there are two main options : the bosh router and the dewalt 611 router. Why should i chose one over the other?