Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

general question on hooking up e-stop and a contactor

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by ashish B, Aug 15, 2018.

1. ashish B

ashish B New
    Builder

Being new to the CNC, I am slowly progressing and doing a lot of reading.
    Online, I see people using e-stops and contactors to make operation safe. I am wondering if someone could share a diagram on how an e-stop should be connected and what behavior I should expect.

I am going to use Phoenix controller with separate motor drivers (stepperonline) , a 36V supply for motors, 12v for cooling fans and water pump and 5V for driver and board.
    I have an eStop (mushroom style) button and a 12V powered contactor (4 pole). I am trying to understand what should happen if I hit estop, should the spindle and VFD stop receiving power or everything should stop. I will be using a VFD and plan on adding 6 limit switches

2. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

Ideally, when you hit the e-stop (emergency stop) everything should stop. The spindel should stop and the program should stop executing but not shut down (the stepper will stop moving).

There are lots of plans on the web of how to hook up e-stops with and without contactors.