Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

General Help for Retired Gentlemen Woodworking Groups

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Robert Davis, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Robert Davis

Builder

Retired Gentlemen woodworking Groups are also known in the UK as Men in Sheds
    I am an old cogger who is new to this CNC Hobby.
    I may be in the wrong place so if I am perhaps you could point me in the right direction.
    Just purchased a Mini Mill and have completed putting it together. Now I need some help with the electronics and computer software.
    I am well used to drawing in Solidworks so now I need to be able to connect my drawings to My new mill. It is this I think I need help with.

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

A very inexpensive way to connect is using an Arduino board, a shield like this Arduino CNC Shield – 100% GRBL Compatable that plugs into it and then the DRV8825 drivers Amazon.com: [3D CAM] 5 PCS DRV8825 StepStick Stepper Motor Drivers for 3D Printer Electronics, CNC Machine or Robotics: Industrial & Scientific. You will also need a 24 volt power supply 24V /14.6A Meanwell Power Supply. I used a system like this when I first started, but I switched to the DQ542MA drivers a few months later due to the size of my machine. An easier way to go is to buy an all in one board like the CNC xPRO V3 Controller Stepper Driver. It comes with GRBL on it so all you need then is to download ChiliPeppr - Grbl Panel - Universal-G-Code-Sender or GRBL Controller 3.0 and put in your settings to run it.

MaryD and CiaraB like this.
  3. Robert Davis

Builder

Hi. Many thanks for your reply it was very helpful. I have been offered a built system that has a C11-Multifunction CNC Board Rev.8.
    4 x 4.2A Stepper Motor Drivers all wired up in a strong steel Box. It has a folder from CNC4PC with it that gives the details of some of the parts. I have contacted an electrician and he is going to take a look at it and test it for safety. A good home the lady would like to have. What do you think?