Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Fusion 360 post processing problem with Plasma toolpaths

Discussion in 'CAM' started by Tim Lyczewski, Oct 11, 2023.

1. Tim Lyczewski

Builder

Hi @David the swarfer
    I have the x32 black box and installed the " OpenBuildsFusion360PostGrbl.CPS" and "OpenbuildsFusion360PostGrblx32" in fusion360 and spent 2 days back and forth with customer support . When I try to past a project it does not post," failed to post" in the text says "water jet, laser,and plasma tool path not supported". ( trying to setup for plasma). Fusion 360 runs simulation just fine. What an I missing??

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Note as per the support team:

"Post all the details (fusion360 file, relevant screenshots, logs, etc as well as detailed descriptions) for the developers to help you out and see what might be configured incorrectly in your Fusion setup. "

You forgot most of those, please

3. Tim Lyczewski

Builder

I have no Idea how do ad those details ,screen shots,files or logs, this is were customer sent me to ask, never done a forum before

4. Tim Lyczewski

Builder

also when I go to post my project on the right of the screen were you put in post processor and destination folder it ask questions about spindel type nothing about plasma

5. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

Export your fusion file. "File -> Export -> Choose a location on your computer"

Upload it here. "Click on Upload a file", Select the file you exported from Fusion.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  6. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

Plasma parameters are at the bottom:

upload_2023-10-11_9-30-10.png

7. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

That would be because the X32 post does not support laser and plasma, only milling.

The X32 post exists to handle 4th axis milling, for normal 3 axis milling/laser/plasma you will need the regular OB post.

If you read inside the X32 post (a bit complicated for non programmers, but the info is there nonetheless) it says
    capabilities = CAPABILITY_MILLING | CAPABILITY_MACHINE_SIMULATION;
    whereas the regular post says
    capabilities = CAPABILITY_MILLING | CAPABILITY_JET; // intended for a CNC, so Milling, and waterjet/plasma/laser

and that is why you get the error, the post tells Fusion360 that it can only do MILLING.

The regular post has a lot of code in it to support the special things that lasers and plasmas do that is different to regular milling and since supporting 4th axis is already very complicated, adding laser/plasma support to the milling post is not happening anytime soon, probably never, instead a laser/plasma (and no milling) post that supports 4th axis will be created to keep a lid on the complexity. but first, lets get the 4th axis milling post tested and out of beta phase (-:

8. Tim Lyczewski

Builder

reloaded post processor without xl in the name, shut down program,turn off computer, started over. now it looks like the one in the picture.more than spindle control,still won't post but it says.top height must be below pierce height. now to figure that out

9. Tim Lyczewski

Builder

10. Tim Lyczewski

Builder

no one explains that when you download a zip folder,now i'm getting smater by the minute, this is ALL new to me

11. Tim Lyczewski

Builder

got it !!!!!

12. David the swarfer

at GitHub - OpenBuilds/OpenBuilds-Fusion360-Postprocessor: Post Processor for Fusion 360 for use with OpenBuilds Machines running Grbl 1.1 down the page a bit, there is a link to plasma instructions

13. Tim Lyczewski

Builder

I have got the machine set up and running but I am needing to learn the post processing that controls the Z axis movements.Is there a tutorial that explains the settings on the plasma on the post page so I can understand what I am trying to do ??

14. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Checkout video below to learn how to build the correct type of floating head with a probe switch etc

15. David the swarfer

16. Tim Lyczewski

Builder

Thank You , at first glance it looks very informative , I will have time to watch in depth later.Thanks Again