Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Fully Automated Poker Table with Robotic Bar Tender

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Damien_DD, May 5, 2021.

1. Damien_DD

Damien_DD New
    Builder

Hi Community,

I'm working on a fully automated poker table with robotic bar tender.
    The poker game is functional at this time. Each player has an RPi with touch screen to interact with the poker game. RGB LEDs on the table give all players a visual representation of who the action is on, who has folded, big blind, small blind, and busted out players. This is all coded in python and is working, but poker is not as fun without some beers! I have coded the beer screen and function into the client. At this point, the player clicks on the beer of choice and the corresponding dollar amount is deducted from the player's "cash".
    Now for the beer build:
    Ultimately I wanted to have a carousel under the table that would move the beer to the location of the ordering player's "beer hole" on the table. I haven't had much success with building that carousel as the table is a rectangle, therefore a circle does not work.
    I'm now at the point of focusing on the mechanism that will raise the beer from under the table, into the "beer hole" on the table. I was thinking of ordering a bolt driven linear actuator with a NEMA17 stepper for this.
    What do you all think?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
    Damien

Peter Van Der Walt and sharmstr like this.
  2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Of course a circle works on a rectangular table. Carousel with radial tracks to the beer holes. The carousel rotates to the track it wants and then runs a beer gantry down the track to the end then lifts the beer to the surface.

4. Damien_DD

Damien_DD New
    Builder

Hey Rick, thanks for the comment. Can you show me an example of a carousel with radial tracks? It sounds like a possible good fit for my table and I'd like to know how I would put something like this together.
    I tried using a stepper motor in the middle of the table to "drag" the beer gantry around a curtain rail slider, however I didn't have much luck. I think there was too much drag/friction for the stepper motor to efficiently move the slider around the rail from the center of the table.
    I then tried to use a toothed belt around the perimeter of the rail system, with hopes of turning the belt with the stepper motor toothed gear and thus moving the slider (attached to the belt) around the rail.
    No luck with this either.

Please share details on the carousel with radial tracks.
    I've included a picture to give you a general idea of the shape that I would need to lay the track out in.

Thanks!
    Damien

Attached Files:

5. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Very rough concept attached, enough to get the idea anyway. Center piece rotates and beer trolley moves to end where beer is lifted. Trolley shown aligned with fetch beer rail.

Carousel.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Damien_DD

Damien_DD New
    Builder

Hey Rick, thanks for the sketch up. I apologize for the late reply here, it's been a busy few weeks. The wife wanted to go on a couple of turn around getaways before the new baby comes.
    I'm trying to determine how the "handoff" happens in your drawing. If I'm interpreting this correctly, there are six static rails, and one rail that rotates with the circular carousel, is that correct?
    If this is correct, what is the method of interacting between the rotating and static rails? Do we just line then up with one another and then send the beer delivery mech down the rail, "jumping" from the rotating rail to the corresponding static rail?

Thanks again!
    Damien

7. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Yes.
    Yes. The carousel rotation is stopped in proper position by sensors and the gantry moves from one rail to another. As far as propulsion I was just envisioning a rubber drive wheel pressed up against the gantry wheels and driving them directly. The gantry wheels have enough friction to pull themselves along the track.

8. Damien_DD

Damien_DD New
    Builder

What's my best option if I want to try this method? I'm looking for the V-Slot rail, Gantry, and possibly a stepper motor for this prototype.
    If you can point me to the parts you'd recommend in your shop, I would appreciate it.

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

The OpenBuilds system is modular (like Lego or Mechanno) - browse the store and build it up in your mind or (better) in CAD.
    Alternatively checkout our Actuator kits as a starting point: Linear Actuators - OpenBuilds Part Store