Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Flatten spoil board, stops. Unknown Grbl Alarm on Interface

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Bug Report' started by MakerJoe, Oct 16, 2021.

1. MakerJoe

MakerJoe New
    Builder

Openbuilds Workbee 1010. Blackbox. Interface. Dewalt 611.
    Running my first cut - Level the spoil board.
    Generated gcode via OpenBuilds CONTROL v1.0.305
    Uploaded to Interface to provided USB drive using HTTP server

I've run the cut twice now. Both times it stopped at a random point without any obvious environmental reason.
    The first time I wasn't watching. I'd returned to the room and it was ~60% of the way thru and stopped. Being my very first cut, and with all vacuum noise, I wasn't sure if the router had turned off via IoT. So I was acting decisively.

There were no obvious errors on Interface at a glance. But the reported XYZ position didn't make sense. I quickly hit Abort and powered off everything.

I tried again. Zeroed things out and moved Z down ~0.5mm to start anew. This time I was going to watch the whole ~40 minutes.

When it stopped again, according to the Interface screen, it was at 92%, and indeed it went further this time. But again no obvious cause as to why it stopped. I was watching and there was no sound/issue/nothing external.

In the top left of the Interface screen, it says:
    "Grbl:Alarm"
    "[ for help]"

At the bottom it says:
    "Running: /<myfile> 92.01%"
    "Sending:"
    "G1 X12.5 Y712.5000 Z-2"

Note that I had done a Feed Override to 70% shortly after the second attempt caught up to where the first was, just in case the 2.5mm cut was more aggressive and somehow a factor. But when it stopped, the Interface reflected that it was back to 100%.

Also, when I Aborted this time, and told it to go to Zero position, it returned to a random spot in the middle of the board.

How do I get the error/alarm info out of Interface to determine what is happening?

I thought there might be a file on the USB drive, but doesn't seem to be the case.
    I went to the HTTP address of Interface, but I can only see an upload option.

The fact that it happened in random positions suggests to me that it's not the gcode file itself.

2. MakerJoe

MakerJoe New
    Builder

Picture from when it stopped the 2nd time...
    [​IMG]

3. MakerJoe

MakerJoe New
    Builder

This is where it returned to after the 2nd attempt, when I told it to return to zero. It somehow lost track of its position with the Alarm. But what's caused it?
    You can see the point where it stopped in the top right of the image.
    The first attempt it stopped in the middle of the board X-axis, and about 2/3rd of the cut you see here.
    [​IMG]

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

5. Kocaka2009

Builder

I'm having some similar issues, getting random error on the interface like errors 1,2,3,22,25,33 most. They happen in random parts and I can restart and it works fine sometimes or it will give a different error at a different spot. I looked over this EMI doc and moved wires and tried a bunch of things. It seemed to help but I'm doing bigger projects now and like 10-15 minutes it will error randomly. I now set the interface wire and box as far away as I can from any electronic but it's still just happens randomly. I have also been using the laptop now and had 0 issues. Is my interface just bad or are they just that sensitive to EMI?

6. Peter Van Der Walt

What version of Interface Firmware are you on (Reset it, and watch the boot screen)

7. Kocaka2009

Builder

V1.57

8. Peter Van Der Walt

No known streaming bugs in that version, was hoping you were on an older version.

OK next troubleshooting step - run an air-cut with the router/spindle zeroed high, but with the router/spindle turned OFF - as a first step to finding the abnormal source of EMI.
    Any 3rd party components on your machine (VFD spindle, etc?)

9. Kocaka2009

Builder

It's a loaded 1515 with makita router.

10. Peter Van Der Walt

Thanks for confirming

Lets see how this test goes

11. Kocaka2009

Builder

I have the x32 blackbox and feel like its maybe underpowering the interface? I had issues when I first got it that it would reboot any time I touched a button that caused the vibration motor to run. I had to have a usb c plugged into the interface in order to make its stop and I knowest after I updated the firmware that the vibration motor no longer runs and its not restarting anymore.

12. Peter Van Der Walt

13. Kocaka2009

Builder

I did not, I followed the interface setup and it says no preparation required for x32 so I went on to connection. I'll try that and see if it fixes it also. Thanks!

14. Peter Van Der Walt

Correct, no preparation of the BlackBox - this jumper goes into the Interface :) (only if it feels underpowered - likely not the newest version which has it prejumpered)

It is linked to from docs:interface:connect-blackbox-x32 [OpenBuilds Documentation] (under the "TIP" just above the diagram)

15. Kocaka2009

Builder

I hope it's the new version, I ordered it black friday.

16. Peter Van Der Walt

I don't even know of the newest batch is in from the factory :) Thats how new it is. Regardless, we include the jumper. 1.7s just has it prejumpered saving one step, nothing major