Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Flatness Measuring System

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Jesse Henkel, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Jesse Henkel

Builder

Hello All,

This is my first post on the OpenBuilds forum, but so far have been loving browsing the ideas some great minds have had. I'm currently working on designing a pallet system that will be belt driven through a series of machine components, and one of the many design constraints is that the top surface of the pallet (24" x 18") needs to be flat to .3 mm from its highest to lowest point. A leveling/adjustment mechanism is already being worked on, but the current challenge I foresee with this is the ability to measure this flatness so I know what adjustments need to be made.
    I had a few ideas in mind (using a positioning indicator probe on a gantry system, having a laser tripping system oriented parallel to the surface that's lowered at various X and Y increments), but would love to know if any of you have seen or created a flatness measuring system and would like to offer any insight. Thanks in advance, and good luck with all your builds!

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hello @Jesse Henkel
    I do not know much on the subject but what comes to mind is you could possibly work up a sweeping laser on one side with a receiver on the other for a hopefully inexpensive way to measure flatness.
    This may interest you - Laser - Use Of A Laser To Measure Flatness
    All the best with your build, look forward to seeing what you come up with.