Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

First test - partial success

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by iH8vols, Mar 20, 2017.

1. iH8vols

iH8vols New
    Builder

Hey guys,

I was finally able to fire up my CNC and test it with G-Code Sender program yesterday. The good news is that my Z axis worked perfectly, as well as my e-stop and other buttons. Ran into some issues on the other motors. I've checked the wiring and haven't seen any problems. Wondering if there is some software settings or something I need to change. I would really appreciate some guidance. Thanks!

CNC Details:
    1. It's 1500x1500
    2. Running xPro V3
    3. I have 4 Nema 23 High Torque motors from the openbuilds store
    4. Tested using G-Code Sender

Motor Status:
    1. My "A" motor did not power on or move. It has no sound or anything coming from it. One thing I did notice after wiring it up, is that it "clicks" when I try to move it just like when i touched the Yellow & White or Green & Red wires together to complete a coil. It's the only motor that does this. I have checked the wiring several times and everything appears correct. No light appears on the xPro. Any ideas on this?
    2. My Y motor makes an odd noise. I recorded a few seconds of the noise and saved it at the link below. Again, I've checked the wiring on this, and everything appears to be good. The xPro lights up in an orange color for this motor.
      1. Link to sound: Y Axis.m4a
      2. I found this post from a couple years ago. Do you this this applies to me as well? I say this simply because the problem was the orange light. The only problem is, I never changed any of the settings when I started testing it. CNC xPRO Driver
    3. My X motor tried turning, but was unable to move. I believe this was due to the A motor not moving to help it.
    4. My Z worked perfectly..

2. Jonathon Duerig

Jonathon Duerig Journeyman
    Builder

So the odds are that your 'A' motor connection has a short somewhere along the line between two of your wires. Power everything off, then see if you still get the click-resist movement on it. Once you do, divide and conquer. Disconnect your cables at some connection point and see if it persists. If it does, the short is in the part that is still connected. If it doesn't, the short is in the part that you disconnected. Repeat until you find which wires or connection point is having the short.

Your Y motor probably has a loose connection. You can track that down as well by using the clicky-resistance thing. Unhook one pair at the end and deliberately short them against each other. If this does not induce clicky-resistance when turning the motor by hand, you know that pair does not have connectivity some place. Then you can again divide and conquer.

-D

iH8vols likes this.
  3. iH8vols

iH8vols New
    Builder

I went back and fixed my wiring and all the motors are working.

One question - how should I have my jumpers wired for the slave motor? Should the wires go from the Y to the X slots on the xPro? Thx!!

#3 iH8vols, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  4. Jonathon Duerig

Jonathon Duerig Journeyman
    Builder