Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

First Machine Questions

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by jtadams, Jun 15, 2022.

1. jtadams

jtadams New
    Builder

Hey guys, hope everyone is well. I'm struggling here. Feel like there's a big disconnect [in my brain] going from a Fusion 360 CAD file to CAM.. I THINK I managed to generate the g-code within Fusion, but I'm not super confident if what I did is correct.. I installed the post processor and Shark Bits library in Fusion, but I dunno how to add the Lead machine to the machine library or if I need to?
    Since I'm using the personal version of Fusion, I'm not able to export a dxf or svg file into OpenBuilds CAM.. Can't seem to find any tutorials or guides for using the CAM software as well.. I have it all setup, but no clue what to do at this point. I made the Hello World example without a problem, but I sure would appreciate some sort of resource walking through the entire process from design creation / importing from Fusion then into manufacturing..
    many thx!!

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

You don't need the machine profile in Fusion cam. You don't need Openbuilds Cam now you have Fusion 360 cam - Openbuilds Cam is (intentionally) very basic. The g-code file you created in Fusion can be opened in Openbuilds Control (or whatever control software you use) - the preview in Fusion and the one in Openbuilds Control will let you check if it's doing what you expected.

Alex.

3. jtadams

jtadams New
    Builder

Thanks so much for the clarity Alex!! My thought yesterday was possibly the OP CAM would be easier to pickup and learn, but ran into the roadblock mentioned earlier. Purchased a book on 360 CAD and CAM which have been super helpful, but the CAM side is lacking a bit of the detail, and reference files, which makes it even more confusing haha
    Just ran an air cut of the gcode and it ran just as the control software showed.. However, the cut was in the wrong location [mirrored across both X&Y axis] and missed the contour cut altogether.. I'll check out the video you posted and dive back into the file to see where I went wrong..

4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

If you post the file here (Fusion file - archive file in Fusion EXPORT - it's the default option in export) one of us can have a look at it.
    When you jog your machine do the axes move in the correct directions? Y +ve tool moves back, X +ve tool moves right, Z +ve tool moves up?
    Alex.

5. jtadams

jtadams New
    Builder

I believe I got it!! Had the orientations wrong and didn't post the entire setup thread.. Only the pocket operation haha.. If you wouldn't mind having a look at the file I would really appreciate it before I destroy another bit! All the axes are moving as they should and the simulation on the Control software is now correct..
    The Clamp1.0 was my first go at it; 1.2 "should" be ready to run

Attached Files:

6. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Bedtime here (UK), and I'm busy tomorrow, but it sounds as though you have got it sorted?
    I'll certainly have a look on Monday if no one else has chipped in.
    Alex.

7. jtadams

jtadams New
    Builder

I believe I did!! Managed to get four of the clamps cut out; had to go back in and dial back the feed rates a bit, but it all eventually worked out. Thought the bit was going to break on the first cut tho! Pretty cool how you can throttle the feed rate through the control software while the job is in progress!

8. jtadams

jtadams New
    Builder

Definitely need to dial in the depth of cut a bit. Do you guys typically use an offset of X to clear your stock material or make the stock slightly thicker? The leftover material from the cuts I made yesterday are about paper thin, suppose I was almost there!!

9. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

I assume you mean offset of Z? - in Fusion I believe you can set a negative value for stock to leave which would have the desired effect.
    Alex.

jtadams likes this.
  10. jtadams

jtadams New
    Builder

Yessir, that's correct. I need to look back at what offset I used - could've been the bottom height set to -.01 or something along those lines. I like the stock to leave idea, will give that a go and see how it turns out!!

11. jtadams

jtadams New
    Builder

Welp, ran into another hiccup today in Fusion and not sure where I'm going wrong. I dunno what to even search for to find out.. Learning all the different software, as I go, while trying to crank something out of the machine is a bit of a headache.
    The clamps turned out great, but now I'm having difficulties with a vector imported into Fusion from a svg. I have never worked with a vector before just so you know and I'll do my best to describe what I'm dealing with ;)
    When I extrude the 2D vector, all the nodes show up in sections rather being one continuous path. Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 7.19.13 PM.png

Which carries over into manufacturing when asked for a path during the contour setup. Each section needs to be individually selected all the around the model.

Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 7.23.30 PM.png

Don't know if this is typical but sure seems like there's a better way then selecting each contour independently? :banghead:

Thanks everyone!!

12. jtadams

jtadams New
    Builder

Hello all,

Is there a recommended and max feed rate for the 1515? What spindle speed do you guys typically use on soft woods for Router11? Everything I've messed around with so far used a fairly low speed (dial at 2 or 3) and a feed rate around 40 in/min for cutting plywood. Seems to cut fine, but from what I've read this may be way to slow.. Looking to make some test cuts later today to dial it in; just not sure if I'm in the neighborhood of what it should be..

thanks!!

13. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

We have a couple Speeds and Feeds charts in the Resources | OpenBuilds section that may be helpful

jtadams likes this.
  14. jtadams

jtadams New
    Builder

Thanks Peter! I used those and the built in Fusion libraries to get a rough idea and dialed it back from there until the results came out ok. Cuts and chamfers are pretty well dialed in, but I cannot get a decent engraving on plywood.. Certainly has got MUCH better, but still yet to be desired. Any tips here for small (.2~.3") lettering?