Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

First cuts on 1515 Workbee

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Duncan Meyer, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Duncan Meyer

Builder

Hi,
    The machine is dialed in and cutting!

First job was to cut 36 foam wing ribs. 65mm/sec, 20mm DOC, 3.175mm upcut bit, 8600 RPM (lowest Makita setting). Cuts like butter with a hot knife.

Next job was to cut the fuselage out of 19mm plywood. This time, 40mm/sec, 4mm DOC, 6.35mm upcut bit, 19700 (Makita 3.5 setting). Again, like cutting butter with a hot knife.

Unfortunately, with 19mm stock, I don't have sufficient clearance to fit the OB dust shield, so I had to follow the cuts with my trusty vacuum machine. I've ordered the 2" higher Y-plates, but that a way off yet...

I found this 3D printable vacuum system which looks perfect, however: Vacuum attachment for 65mm CNC spindle. by grubba

I've long thought that placing a suction some distance from the spindle itself hoping it might catch the high-velocity detritus from the bit is somewhat optimistic on a good day. This places the suction mere millimeters from the origin of the debris. My hand-held vacuum emulated this, and did a great job of voiding the rubbish.

Anyway - here's a short video of cutting my fuselage pieces.

Duncan

rscamp and sharmstr like this.