Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

FARM OX (Four Axis Rotary Machine)

Discussion in 'CNC Lathes' started by ymilord, Jul 29, 2015.

1. ymilord

ymilord Journeyman
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

ymilord published a new build:

Read more about this build...

Carl Stoner likes this.
  2. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

Looks great! Looks like a toolbOX!

Giarc and Mark Carew like this.
  3. Atomist

Atomist New
    Builder

Look great, 4th or 5th axis lathe type machine has been on my list of things to build for awhile. One preliminary concern is I think you might want to find a way to support the other side of the axis sticking out parallel to the base.(not sure what you will be calling it) As it is, I think you might have some issues once you start cutting into the material, the force of the motion and friction from cutting material would probably suffer.

Joe Santarsiero likes this.
  4. MTO

MTO Well-Known
    Builder

In short, I think you mean it needs a live-center tail-stock.

ymilord: awesome work!

5. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

This is going to be a fun Build to follow! Great looking Build @ymilord

6. ymilord

ymilord Journeyman

Yeah. There are still some components that still need to be modeled in.

7. Atomist

Atomist New
    Builder

Since it won't be supporting the the stock material I wouldn't consider it a live center or tail stock. But in manner of speaking, yes :p

MTO likes this.
  8. ymilord

ymilord Journeyman

[​IMG]

Adjusted the endplates so they can be cut out with the C-Beam Machine. (10.5" square)

#8 ymilord, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    Carl Stoner and Mark Carew like this.
  9. ymilord

ymilord Journeyman

I'll be test cutting the endplates (In MDF or wood) to make sure the spacing/hole are in the correct spot.

Also in the process of making a 5 Axis version of this machine.

10. Mark Carew

This is great news thank you for doing this @ymilord this will be a big help to many Builders here!:thumbsup:

11. ymilord

ymilord Journeyman

One of the addons I plan on doing in the MachineKit profile is add the XHC HB04 Wired/Wireless Pendant support.

[​IMG]

Currently using one for my existing CNC. Very, Very handy.

12. ymilord

ymilord Journeyman

Works fine in Mach. In fact that's what it's designed for. (I just use it with LinuxCNC)

13. cureac

cureac New
    Builder

very nice

14. ymilord

ymilord Journeyman

I've added a couple additional images of the two new configurations and example of a mobile phone alert.

The first is the 4 Axis unit (XZAC) which will operate as a Rotary. The second unit is a 5 Axis unit (XYZAC). The first unit was redesigned so that the endplates could be cut with a C-Beam Machine (10.45") the second unit due to the C axis the endplates has to be larger (14.75").

I've already started work on the MachineKit image that will power these machines. And I've redesigned the electronics to be a compact as possible. The beagle bone black and the 7" Touchscreen, the breakout cape will be in one unit that is mounted on the right of the FARM. And the 4/5 Axis Stepper driver & PSU will be on the other side of the unit. With one DB25 cable connecting the two (In which I've made a cable channel in the interior of the unit) The only cable that leaves the unit is power (or ethernet if you chose not to use a wireless dongle).

As for the MachineKit image, I'll include a profile that will be pre-configured for the FARM (Both versions). I've also made a custom HAL for MachineKit to provide the visual alert system I was referring to and also provide additional IO for other things. (i.e. if this package was used on a OX, You could add a touch probe and do a 3D map of an object. Or use the additional IO pins to control mist/flood coolant. Or add a diode based laser permanently mount it to your OX and assign a custom M code to it.) Speaking of custom M-Code, I've add one so that it will send a push notification via Pushover that will alert you for Start/Stop of a Job & Tool changes. I've also added a OpenBuilder built-in test cut pattern.

I'd also like to make a profile for the OX and the C-Beam. This way the 'Electronics Package' could work with any of the existing or future Openbuilder projects (Laser Cutters, WaterJets, etc..) Would be nice to standardize this so setup and configuring any OB multi-axis machine would be a breeze.

15. Mark Carew

This would be fantastic @ymilord

16. ymilord

ymilord Journeyman

I think so too :)

Oh as a side note, I've configured the pins required for a VFD spindle or a DC PWM Spindle. The out of the box configuration is a SSR with a standard AC router.

17. ymilord

ymilord Journeyman

Part ordered! I am almost done with the motion control part of the build. I'll post pics and video of it in action later this week.

Mark Carew likes this.
  18. Mark Carew

Looking forward to it @ymilord :thumbsup: can't wait to see them.

19. runninfarmer

runninfarmer Well-Known
    Builder

I'm excited to see your build finished. What firmware are you using for your board? Also what CAM software will you be using to generate your G-code? Someday I'd like to build something like this, but using opensource firmware, CAD, and CAM.

20. ymilord

ymilord Journeyman

It's always feels like christmas when a big *** box with the OpenBuilders logo shows up at your front door.

The parts for the FARM have arrived. Assembly will start shortly. I am almost done with the motion controller setup. I've added a couple pictures of what it's going to look like.

@runninfarmer I am using MachineKit (as the motion controller platform) running on a beaglebone black. My CAD/CAM solution is Fusion 360. As for the 'I'd like to build something like this, but using open source firmware, CAD, and CAM.' comment. The motion controller software is open source. There are plenty of open sourced CAD apps out there. As for the CAM there aren't any that can handle 5 Axis (Yet)

Attached Files:

21. runninfarmer

runninfarmer Well-Known
    Builder

I have started learning Fusion 360. I guess I meant free software instead of opensource so Fusion 360 would count since it's free for hobbyists and startups. If the CAM in Fusion 360 supports the 4th rotary axis, how do you set it up? Thanks for your info and looking forward to seeing some videos!

22. ymilord

ymilord Journeyman

:)

Attached Files:

Mark Carew likes this.
  23. ymilord

ymilord Journeyman

Since @Mark Carew (Thanks Mark) pointed me in the right direction of the font used in the OB Logo, I was able to do what I originally wanted to do.

I know, A Logo is not really important- But I still have a few parts to get before I can get the gantry assembled and the motion control stuff dialed it.

So I figured I'd have some fun in the meanwhile.

Attached Files:

24. Mark Carew

A thing of beauty! Love it :)

25. Atomist

Atomist New
    Builder

I know this build is still in the design/build stage, but I was wondering if you'd mind sharing your parts list so far? I'm kinda curious what you're going to use and how it's being used obviously. Any chance :p ?

26. ymilord

ymilord Journeyman

Don't have an official BOM that I can post yet. I want to make sure everything I have will work first. I've learned in the pass that sometime CAD to physical does not always work out very well. (Tolerances and manufactures giving you a different version than what's available.) Once I get the last bit of parts today, And I get started on the assembly the BOM should be posted pretty quickly.

27. ymilord

ymilord Journeyman

So far I have the gantry assembled (I have not cut out the endplates yet, I'll go out to one of the big box hardware stores and get a couple thick sheets of PVC or HDPE- This temp material is to make sure everything lines up before I do the final endplates.) The pulleys should be in later today along with the XL belts. As for the software/hardware side. I am still finalizing the config so I can assign all the pins on the cape for future add-ons (i.e. a tram assist tool) and have the ability to upgrade the 4 Axis driver board /w an additional external axis (to make 5 total).

Attached Files:

Mark Carew likes this.
  28. ymilord

ymilord Journeyman

Phase one has started. I'll be picking up the aluminum sheets today along with a large sheet of thick PVC (The PVC will be used for test cuts) the other issue I have it the spindle mount. The CAD model I have as the holes in a different location then what's on the actual mount. So I need to make a 'Unity plate' to mate the spindle mounts to the back of the C-Beam. Which is not a big deal. But now the spindle is not dead center of the A Axis. I'll will have shift it up by about 3mm which means I'll have to adjust A gantry to match. Not a big deal.

Carl Stoner likes this.
  29. ymilord

ymilord Journeyman

The vendor I was getting the PVC from screwed up my order. So I ended up doing the temp. endplates in MDF. So far everything looks good. I've included some pics of the process.

Attached Files:

Ronald van Arkel likes this.
  30. ymilord

ymilord Journeyman

Just completed a test fit of the endplates and all is good. I just have the change the spacing for the side mount for the NEMA 23 for the X Axis (Not critical, just wanted a better symmetrical fit between the two plates.)

The other thing I've been working on a create profiles for the other OX Series machines. I have received a couple baseline configurations- But they look to be the default/stock GRBL with minor changes. I think the best thing for me to do is get a C-Beam Machine and build a
    'mini' OX and config LinuxCNC (MachineKit) with the physical machine.

Speaking of LCNC and MachineKit, While testing I found a way to remote control the BeagleBone Black from a desktop and also a way to add/create a wired pendant (small PCB with a encoder and a couple buttons) what will provide a quick way to home, touch off and start the job. I'll also provide a way connect a small 3 Line LCD (which could be added to the PCB I mentioned above) that will show you your current WC and MC and what axis are homed.

At any rate, things are moving along. Still waiting for the GT3 pulleys and the belts and one RMA.

silopolis and Mark Carew like this.