Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Extending the length of C-Beams and V-slot

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Michael Guy, Jul 17, 2024.

1. Michael Guy

Builder

Hi everyone - I am new to Open Builds, and appreciate the opportunity to learn from you all.
    I want to create a vertical CNC camera mount with which I can move the camera with pre-set steps, both horizontally and vertically 3metres wide (118") by 2metres high (79").
    This entails butt-joining C-Beam, with a minimum disruption at the joint. This is not designed to be a smooth slider for video, but for still shots taken at pre-determined steps.
    I'm hoping that someone can advise on a successful method of joining both the C-Beam, and the V-slot.
    I can then make a SketchUp construction for discussion.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You can use Makerlinks Quad Tee Nut - MAKERLINK (10 Pack)

[​IMG]

But do note (I can see you already accept this, just mentioning again) that the joint may need a little cleanup to prevent a sharp edge the wheel has to roll over to not damage the wheels. During the transition it won't be as precise. That apart you can use Makerlinks for butt-joints as shown.

Also keep How to calculate V-Slot® deflection in mind - mounting the rails in a supported manner rather than freely suspended might need to be worked into your design.

3D Warehouse might be helpful with that, Makerlinks Quad Tee Nut here 3D Warehouse

David the swarfer likes this.
  3. Michael Guy

Builder

Hi Peter - That's very helpful thanks !
    I'm confident that with the reinforcement from these Tee Nuts, I can smooth out a decent joint maybe with Belzona - incredible metal filled epoxy material that I've used before to repair aluminium engine parts. It can even be machined. My intention is to use the C-Beam horizontally on supports as you suggest.
    I noticed the 3D warehouse info and will download it.
    While I'm happy to buy the majority of parts from the US, I have found that V-slot in Poland have a 3 metre long C-Beam available.

#3 Michael Guy, Jul 17, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2024
    Peter Van Der Walt likes this.