Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Expanding the z on the ox cnc

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by DarkPenguin, Oct 4, 2018.

1. DarkPenguin

DarkPenguin Well-Known
    Builder

So I'm thinking of doing this.

Moving the 8020 y axis supports to the edge just outside of the router body. Then make a 2040 frame underneath that connects at the front and back supports. Place a few 2020 cross members. Spoil board goes on top of that.

That should give me 80mm more z room than the default 61mm. Lead screw and 6020 for the z would need to be extended but that's easy.

Everything bigger than 61mm would have to fit within the box defined by the 8020.

If I wanted more space I could also by the bigger gantry plates. (which I could also do but I have a lot of the extrusion already.)

Obvious problems with this?

2. Kevon Ritter

Kevon Ritter Veteran
    Builder

The only obvious issues are a reduction in rigidity and stability. Even hardwoods at max reach may bite back, but shouldn't be a problem if you properly plan the toolpath.

3. DarkPenguin

DarkPenguin Well-Known
    Builder

Good point. I've some ideas for that.

The thing with this idea is that I'm hoping to add strength by creating the sub-frame under the current machine. Z axis is a bit, um, spindly.