Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Estlcam - unnecessary Z axis moves

Discussion in 'CAM' started by halfshavedyaks, Jan 9, 2019.

1. halfshavedyaks

halfshavedyaks Journeyman
    Builder

My parallel finishing toolpaths in Estlcam have a lot of unnecessary lifting the spindle out of the cut and putting it back again at the end of most, but not all sweeps across the workpiece.

Has anyone else come across this and can it be prevented? it must be adding 20% or more to the toolpath time.

2. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Moderator Builder

I believe it is because it is always trying to cut in the same direction (climb milling vs conventional milling). But I may be wrong We need @Gary Caruso from Estlcam support to chime in here. ;) He has a lot of exerience with it. So far, I have only used the CAM in Eslcam for 2.5D things such as plates. The CAM in all my engravings has been generated using Fengrave then cut using the Estlcam Controller.

3. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

LOL, yes I have seen the same thing when doing an STL file recently, also with V-carving of text. Unfortunately there are so many variables to try it can be difficult (and time consuming) to troubleshoot.
    Maybe Christian Knull will chime in with some suggestions.

Cheers
    Gary

4. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Moderator Builder

The v-carving is also where I have noticed it. But, Fengrave is generating my g-code. Hmmmm...

5. halfshavedyaks

halfshavedyaks Journeyman
    Builder

Not sure if I should ask here or on a new thread - but I'm also unclear about the toolpath calculation accuracy, if I set it to 0.1mm does that mean +/- 0.1mm from the true value for a total variation of 0.2mm including 0.1mm of potential cutting too deep or does it mean something else, like for example a variation between the true value and 0.1mm less deep cut?

Some of my 2 sided 3D carvings done with the manual settings in estlcam one side at a time are coming out a little thicker than I expect (ie estlcam is cutting less deep than I expect) and I'm trying to work out why.