Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Engraving: Each letter cuts deeper than the previous: Solved

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by MrCalm, Mar 27, 2018.

1. MrCalm

MrCalm New
    Builder

Any Help will be greatly appreciated!
    My machine is a new build and thought everything was working fine, but....
    Trying to engrave and each letter cuts deeper than the previous one.
    Smoothieboard with DQ542
    Fusion 360 > Bcnc
    20180325_111848.jpg

I slowed down the retract and feed to a crawl and this is what I came up with(top example of the two)
    20180327_180854.jpg

Did not help. The lower one I did but not as slow as the upper one. It was supposed to cut an ellipse around "MacKenzie" at -2mm really it is about -5mm.

I am a total cherry to this CNC stuff and any suggestions or tips will be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Is your cutting surface flat? I assume it is, but if not it can make some letters get cut deeper as it moves towards the elevated portion. Another thought is that your Z may be dropping if it is unpowered. I had a similar issue as you. Your choices in your settings for $3 Power management mode are 0=motor disabled, 1=motor always on, 2=motor on when in cycle, 3=motor on only when moving. Mine was set to 0 and it would progressively drop as it cut long profile cuts due to the weight of the router. I changed it to 2 and I have not had an issue since.

3. MrCalm

MrCalm New
    Builder

Thanks for the reply.
    My workpiece is flat. I have checked and rechecked that. But I will check your suggestion with regards to the motors
    Thank you for the input

4. MrCalm

MrCalm New
    Builder

Totally a rookie mistake. The upper z leadscrew lock color loosened just enough that the bearing came out of it's seat in the upper plate. Reseated the bearing and it works great again.
    20180331_150106.jpg

This pic is after I put the bearing back in its block seat. Total newbie mistake. Only took two weekends to figure out.

GrayUK likes this.