Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

DWP611 Router Dying?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by brrian, Apr 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. brrian

brrian Well-Known
    Builder

I attached a zip with a .wav of the sound my router is making. It sounds 'wavy' (?)... like the RPMs aren't consistent. It seems to be cutting fine though. This is my second DWP611 & the first did the same thing, but worse. It's not brushes... could this be a bearing? Has anybody experienced this & fixed it?

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Did you check the brushes yet? They are a cheap consumable (might have been cause of death of the old one) - keep a couple sets on hand, they are a service item (consumable) and cheap and easy to replace.
    When they are worn they tend to do that

How To Change The Brushes On The Dewalt DWP611 Router

3. brrian

brrian Well-Known
    Builder

I replaced the brushes in the old router, not too long before it started acting up. I have another set on hand but the new router only has maybe 15 - 20 total hours on it. Can't hurt to check though.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

The audio recording is hard to judge, but something sounds bad (not just 'wavy') - what is the cutting parameters (feed and DOC, endmill dia). Video maybe. Is it extreme chattering (hold endmill with router off, give it a wiggle, does it move on you, something loose)

5. brrian

brrian Well-Known
    Builder

there's no apparent effect on cut quality. I'm cutting 1/8" acrylic, full depth (1 pass) at 38IPM. Those are my standard settings. No chattering. There's a little bit of vertical play in the router shaft... it doesn't feel like it's more than usual but I'm going to take it off & check better.

I still have the old router, which I think was doing the same thing, but worse. I just opened it up. The brushes are good (practically new). The only thing that looks off is a magnet on top of the armature... this:

DeWalt,Porter Cable Magnet #DWB-A27330 - Tool Parts and Accessories - PartsWarehouse

It's kind of chewed up on mine & the outer magnetic part is separated from the inner plastic part. Any idea what this magnet's function is? I can't find anything specific on the Google but a more generic search turned up a comment about a 'speed sensor magnet'. Maybe this has something to do with the issue...

6. Peter Van Der Walt

That explains the noise I heard :) sheet vibration, held by some clamps/edges?
    I'm too used to bluetape+superglue - forgot what "bad" workholding sounds like (;

Hall effect speed sensor. The router reads the speed and then phase controls the power to the windings to speed it up or down to what the dial is set to.

FYI bypassing the internal speed control, and wiring in a SuperPID with optical speed sensors is a thing some people do (; Super-PID and dewalt 611

7. brrian

brrian Well-Known
    Builder

I use double-sided tape in different ways, depending on the size of the sheet, number and size of parts, or cut quantities. In this case it's around the perimeter of a 36" x 48" sheet. There's lots of vibration in the middle & I'm sure that's the bad that you're hearing, that i'm used to.

I almost bought a SuperPID a while ago just because I like the idea of it but I change speeds so infrequently that it's probably not necessary.

I pulled the new router off & checked it out. I didn't open it up but everything seems mechanically fine... there's no extra play anywhere & the locknut is tight. It's only 3-1/2 months old. Maybe Lowes will let me exchange it.