Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Duet wiring/programming for plasma table

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Luke1515, Mar 7, 2022.

1. Luke1515

Luke1515 New
    Builder

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I recently purchased a lead 1515 from open builds and I'm trying to set it up as a plasma table using the duet 3 6hc. I have the workbee/ ooznest firmware installed and have been able to Mill a design from fusion 360. My problem is what port to connect the plasma (hypertherm 65) to the duet. I am not familiar with programming/electronic terms, I am looking for a dry contact on the duet and would like to know how to let the ooznest Post processor know what port to activate in the g code.

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Which version of Ooznest's firmware have you installed? I'm familiar with the Duet2, not so much with the Duet 3 6HC, but I know some people who are using it, although not for plasma. (And I know nothing about plasma). What signals does the plasma require from the Duet.
    Alex.

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

4. Luke1515

Luke1515 New
    Builder

Thanks Peter/Alex, I do have the black box as well. I added an additional set of plug so I can switch back-and-forth knowing my skill level isn't quite there yet for the duet. I'll try to check later what version of ooxnest, should be the current stable version of both, downloaded them last week. I will check the hypother but I did the standard hack wiring where you tap into the orange and purple wires, all that's needed to fire the torch is to connect the two of them together. The torch needs to fire at the beginning of each card and stop at the end, not like a spindle that can continue to run. Don't have a great picture of the shut up butt you can see the duet and the black box to the top left.

Attached Files:

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  5. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Can't help much on the plasma side of things, but if you have a blackbox and don't want even simple "programming" (configuration) then use it for your plasma.
    Because it tries to be all things to all people the Duet is a lot more versatile, but takes a fair bit of reading to set it up for a specific purpose.
    Alex.

PS - I'm still seeing people having problems with Ooznest's firmware based on Rep-Rap Firmware V3.3, so I'm sticking with their V1.0.7 for now.