Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

DSLR Video Slider

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Rob Taylor, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Rob Taylor published a new build:

Read more about this build...

John Milanoski likes this.
  2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Nice write-up on the automation part of the project. :thumbsup:

This is a project I've been wanting to tackle but totally lack an understanding of Arduinos. Thanks for the explanation.

Mark Carew likes this.
  3. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

That was actually my very first Arduino project, it's a very shallow learning curve. It took a few days to put together since I'm pretty rusty with programming but it works well enough for what it does, so I'm not complaining. I think the easiest way to think of an Arduino is a hardware BASIC loop controller that you write for in C++. I doubt that's technically accurate, but in terms of wrapping your head around structuring looping nests, it tends to help!

4. Brian Slee

Brian Slee Well-Known
    Builder

Nice build Rob. :thumbsup:

5. Brian Slee

Brian Slee Well-Known
    Builder

I came across this chart from Gavin Smith a while back. It gives a good overview of the Arduino architecture and is very useful for a reference if you want to get under the hood

Attached Files:

Rick 2.0 and Rob Taylor like this.
  6. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Well done @Rob Taylor ! Like @Rick 2.0 stated above I have been wanting to tackle a project like this as well but, understanding of Arduino was the road block, this really helps to layout the process and clear things up.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Mark

Rob Taylor likes this.
  7. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Thanks, @Brian Slee. That chart looks pretty solid, good find!

Thanks @kram242! Writing for Arduino or other open electronics hardware seems to be the key to unlocking the full capabilities of open hardware manufacturing. Especially for "unconventional" embedded systems, like say, sun-following solar panel mounts (aluminium's good at all-weather, after all) or other microenergy applications, or home automation.

That said, the question that really drives me at the minute is how to get multiple simultaneous outputs from such commercial open electronics for an off-the-shelf, plug-and-play CNC (mill/laser/printer, all three) solution. Arduino struggles, given its simple architecture, it's more suited for responding to specific inputs and single-axis control. I'm looking towards either multi-Arduino or maybe something more along the lines of RasPi or BeagleBone if they have better I/O and memory specs. I'm not really sure yet, but eventually I'd like to have a "buy this, this and this, copy this code over and you're ready to go" solution. Perhaps that involves some reinventing the wheel on my part (eg. Vector/raster interpreters, is Gcode the best solution, etc.), but that's rather what the FOSS movement is known for, after all!

8. Brian Slee

Brian Slee Well-Known
    Builder

Rob,
    No problem. Hope it helps. If you get a sec check the Ultimo build, as we are in the process of doing just the thing that you are contemplating. I haven't started digging through all the software/firmware to build a GUI yet to integrate the different functions (CNC/Pinter/Plasma Cutter) and would be glad to have a pair of experienced hands to help if you are interested???

9. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

I've looked through it now, it's certainly interesting! I'll take this over there though.

10. SeaWild

SeaWild New
    Builder

Really nice work. With about as much engineering intellect as a dormant volcano I'm stoked to have stumbled across this community. At least I will be looking at a hand crank slider as electronic software engineering is about as alien to me as buying a round of drinks is to a Scotsman! No offense to any Scots here by the way...

11. satish k rr

Builder

hi, thank for a simple yet inspiring tutorial.
    im using a L298 driver but i couldnt make the motor spin,
    would appericiate suggestions & help

thanks