Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Drag knife only cutter build?

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by CrashFF, Feb 6, 2017.

1. CrashFF

CrashFF New
    Builder

I have a friend that has recently become handicapped from a major injury to her arm/shoulder. Her major source of income has been leatherwork for the past few years, and I'm trying to find a way to make it a bit easier on her.

Initially, I thought of doing a 5-10w diode laser, realized that was not big enough and started looking at a tube laser in the 120-150w range, and then realized that was too much - e.g. the ventilation, smoke, cooling system, etc... Then I stumbled across the Donek Tools drag knife video where they demo'd cutting out a snowflake in leather...

This appears to be the perfect solution for what I'm after, but I haven't seen any builds dedicated to a drag knife assembly. they're all 'add-on' parts for cnc mills that the spindle remains unpowered.

I'm not sure how much I really need to build up the xy table if I want a system that is strictly for this type of use, since the z axis motion will be limited to maybe 5mm of travel to bring the knife down into the leather, and i'm not carrying a giant spindle assembly ( I hope).