Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

DRAG CHAIN MODEL

Discussion in 'Share Parts' started by Metalguru, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

Hey guys:

Anyone have a SketchUp model for drag chain? Preferably a couple of different sizes.

Or a way to scale objects in SketchUp???

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I did a search on Thingaverse and the first one I picked had a Sketchup model and was about an inch wide. So, my research has shown 100% of those posted on Thingaverse should have a sketchup model. Cable Chain by RotoScan

*edit. After looking at a dozen more, that was the only one with a Sketchup file I found.

3. Ronald van Arkel

Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

I got Igus 3d DXF drawings from their website that I redrew (think their E200 series that are fine to use on top of a C-beam/80mm V-Slot). Now, Igus is okay if you don't live in Mexico; they tried to rip me off, charge over 40USD ofr a 12USD piece of chain (me venting here :p). But hey, their cable chain drawings are not that bad.

Don't know what size you need, I can grand you one wish so only one size from Igus I will redraw in SketchUp for you ;).

-Ronald

4. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

have you seen this?

5. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

Thanks guys!

As always, good information. David the swarfer | OpenBuilds, the DIY one looks interesting, not sure I'd make it out of wood, though. Maybe Nylon or polycarbonate. Do you know if the Sketchup models are available for download somewhere?

Ronald van Arkel | OpenBuilds, thanks for the offer, but don't you have enough s**t to do already? :) I feel your pain, bra, It's the same here in Canada, if the dollar exchange doesn't get ya, the shipping will...

Metal Guru

6. Ronald van Arkel

I would like to see what model you would pick, Time isn´t a big deal as I can use it for my own builds as well. Shipping on cable-chain is cheap, not much padding needed and ABS is lightweight. Check out Amazon for prices, you'll see it's not as cheap as on the Igus site but still acceptable and it's industrial quality. Igus might have prices on the Canadian website as well, and if they do they will sell it to you for that price ;). What width would you choose? To fit on the 60 or 40 V-Slot? A radius of 50 to 60mm would be acceptable/recommended isn't it?

-Ronald

7. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

Well, I'm doing a plasma cutter design, so I need a big drag chain to be able to handle the cable/hose for the plasma torch. Probably at least 20-30mm x 30mm inside. Would not likely be useful for standard CNC builds. Hence the question about the ability to do scaling in Sketchup, I was hoping to find a model for a small drag chain and simply scale it up. Not really interested in building my own, although it's a possibility if I cant find some the right size. I just wanted a model to make my sketchup model look cool...

I will look at the Igus website to see what they have. Also Amazon.ca, but most of their stuff comes from China and takes months to get here. I'm still waiting for end mills and some other parts that I ordered in February.

Gracias, amigo. Usted es muy util como siempre.

8. Ronald van Arkel

Okay, I've got one for you, it's the E200, it's not 100% exact as I never had that one in my hands, give me a few minutes ;).

9. Ronald van Arkel

upload_2016-4-11_16-38-35.png

Over here "we" are talking about building a THC, let me see what can be done, you might want one ;).

Added the .skp file. Let me see what model it was, exact part number and so.

-Ronald

EDIT: It's the E200.05.100.0 although the radius on the chain drawn might be a bit larger... it has been a few months without looking at it... igus® Energy Chain: E200 series

Attached Files:

#9 Ronald van Arkel, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  10. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

You are building a THC? I thought you had to grow that...

11. Ronald van Arkel

What? :D

Torch Height Control, don't know what you were thinking about ;). I used that cable chain model for a plasma build (on paper) as well, should be large enough for all the cables, including the one that goes to the torch. Make sure to get a digital torch from a known brand, you don't want one messing your electronics up every time to start the torch with a high frequency (analog).

-Ronald

12. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

Interesting. I may indeed be interested in obtaining one. Torch Height Control, that is. How does it work?

I do have a Plasma Cutter build almost done on paper, I will post it when I am done. Thanks for the info and model for the IGUS chain. It looks like it is exactly what I need.

Hey, looking at the big build picture on your home page, do you have a source for 1.5m lead screw?

13. Ronald van Arkel

There are some videos on Youtube, mostly are a Polish build called Proma. Don't bother to write them, they will not reply emails. I've tried several times with no "luck". At least you can see in the videos that a THC is a welcome add-on, curved sheet metal is no problem and you get better cut quality. I'll be building one in the future but the Powermax30 XP is expensive (I only have 115vAC here).

It took me some time to get to the right cable chain. At 12.xx (something) USD per feet it's not a bad price as far as I can tell. I use a C-Beam as support that at the same time reinforces the gantry.

The big build picture is using double GT3 (3GT) belt, it has a patent in the USA it seems. It should be more than enough for a plasma build so no need for Acme or ball-screw.

-Ronald

14. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

Hey Ronald:

That chain is way to big. I need it to fit on top of a c-beam so no wider than 40mm, 30mm would be better.

The E14-2-028-0 would be much closer to what I need.

15. Ronald van Arkel

Okay, let me look into the E14. 40mm is small for a plasma cutter cable plus the 3 for the motors and endswitches (if needed).

I'll check it out later today.

-Ronald

16. Ronald van Arkel

igus® Energy Chain® Cable Carrier: Series E14 the one that is 25 inner width, 38mm outer, and does a radius of 75mm (to save your cables). Sure a torch cable doesn't fit in their with the shielded cables for motors and a good earth-cable.

Would that be a good one? Besides that you can scale the width to anything that you want.

By the way, the E200 cost here 47.00USD per 305mm, while they are sold for 12.80USD on their website (does not include end-links). Did you check prices on Amazon?

-Ronald

17. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

My plasma cutter hose is 14mm, the only other thing I would need in there would be the cable for the z axis motor. The plasma ground cable doesn't need to go in there.

The inner size on the E14 that I specified is 19h x 25w. Should fit nicely. It lists for 10.25US/foot on the Igus.ca website.

There is some 18x25 and 15x30 stuff on amazon for $12US for a meter. Again, from China.

The X and Y axis motor cables would be in a different cable chain.

18. Ronald van Arkel

The ground cable is for your motors, you need them, and the thicker the better. Make sure you have everything grounded to one point, always. You don't want to get ground-loops.

If you can get Igus stuff for that price I would do it, especially on a machine that you might be using a few hours day or longer. For me there is another reason not to use no-name brands as I wan't to design on something that doesn't change quality and size over night.

I'll jump on it tonight! You have a nice drawing tomorrow (as close as I can get from photos and such).

-Ronald

19. Ronald van Arkel

Okay, just took the 3D file from the Igus website and set it over to SketchUp. Might not be as smooth but does the job for now to see if you like that chain. You were right (i was with my head in another drawing), it's one or 2 motor cables tops, and some limit switches so there might be enough space in that single chain.
    upload_2016-4-11_22-58-31.png

-Ronald

Attached Files:

20. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

Ronald, you a Sketchup Machine, mang!

Oh, and thanks for the tip about motor grounding. Never really thought about it before, but it's a good idea. I always tie the frame of the machine to ground at some point, but that doesn't guarantee that every part is grounded.

21. Ronald van Arkel

No no, this is just converted from the Igus site, I didn't touch it, just cleaned it up a bit. You can do it too if you could import DWG/DXF but the Make (free) version doesn't do that. And the motor grounding is a must ;).

-Ronald

Edit: if you want to try another one just tell me. If you like this one I can redraw it for a clean look. I won't put it in the resources as I want to measure all myself before I make it a resource.

GrayUK likes this.