Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

DIY Coil Winder

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by Mark Carew, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hey guys just found this
    Bryan from Epicenter.com put together this cool little coil winding machine!
    I think the Build turned out great and some of the ideas he incorporated are awesome.

2. Michael Przybylski

Builder

Hi,
    is here on the forum any DIY of a smilar device?

Michael

3. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hi Michael,
    On a search I could not find one posted but from watching the video it looks like you could put one together pretty easily.

4. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

A coil winder is certainly something I've looked into in the past, though I don't particularly remember why, off-hand- pickups, solenoids, some other weird thing I had going on... Not sure.

This seems like a pretty straightforward way of doing it. Might be a fun little project if I have some leftover parts at some point and trimmings from my recent Parts Store order. Having wound springs by hand on the lathe before, it seems to me like 98% of the project is really 1) whatever that GCoil software was doing for the conversion, I didn't look too closely, and 2) the "clutch" he mentioned but didn't show on the spool assembly.