Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Dewalt DW887 as a spindle?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Jason Farley, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Jason Farley

Builder

I have a brand new Dewalt DW887 1 1/2" Heavy Duty Die Grinder that came with a batch of DIY CNC Router parts.

The person I purchased the lot from planned on using the DW 887 as his spindle and claims he has used one in a previous CNC router build.

Specs appear to be:
    Amps 3.0Amps
    Max Watts Out 350W
    No Load Speed 25,000rpm
    Use Wheels rpm Above 25,000rpm
    Spindle Lock N/A
    Spindle Thread 1/4" collet
    Tool Length 13.0"
    Tool Weight 3.25lbs

Has the option for a 1/8" reducing collet as well for smaller shank tools.

I know everyone seems to like the Harbor Freight routers or the Dewalt DWP611 variable speed router on OX builds. Has anyone heard of using the DW887 or is it not suitable for and OX style build?

If I can get away with using it for a while that would save some coin, it is brand new. I may upgrade to a VFD and proper spindle down the road but this Dewalt would get me cutting faster.

Attached Files:

2. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

I would use it since you already have it on hand. As for it's durability maybe someone else here has used one and can answer that. 25k rpm is pretty high but should work. You could add one of those variable rpm pieces from HF if it spins too fast. People like the HF router because it's super cheap but IMO a piece of crap, for just a bit more you can get the 611 DeWalt and have a good router.

3. Jason Farley

Builder

4. Nick W

Nick W Well-Known
    Builder

What if you used it to drive another spindle via belt? That way you can increase torque and reduce RPM. (I think I got that right)

5. Jason Farley

Builder

I am just making a guess here but I think that would be added complexity with minimal advantage. My guess is the added torque would not really be put to use on the 1/4 and 1/8" tooling. If it had a larger spindle capacity then maybe, but then it would probably not me turning 25k RPM