Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Desktop CNC Recommendation for Diamond Tip / Spring Loaded Drag Engraving Tool

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by nrymaker, Sep 8, 2019.

1. nrymaker

nrymaker New
    Builder

I'm looking for an ideal desktop CNC build that I can use with something like this Diamond Drag Engraving Tool

I'm the founder of FIST Blades www.fistblades.com and you can see some of my engraving/etching work there to get an idea for what I'm trying to do. Also attaching some photos of past work that I did with laser marking (ACRO OpenBuilds system) and El-Cheapo laser and then I have a custom electro etching machine with AC/DC current that another knife maker built for me.

The problem is that the electro etching process is very time consuming and after seeing several videos like this one from NYCNC that Open Builds Support suggested that I get a Diamond Tip Drag tool. The spring loaded tool is supposed to make it forgiving with uneven surfaces which will be perfect for engraving knife blades.

Limitations are that I only have a small space to house this new CNC router I will build so I would like to keep it to about 2x2 feet or smaller if possible. What would be the best CNC system for me to use?

It would also be an added bonus if I could upgrade the machine later on to be able to cut, grind, and finish pre-heat treated tool steel in order to shape new protoype blades on this desktop CNC from a sheet of metal.

I really appreciate the help and am excited to embark on building my next machine from Open Builds! ;-)

Attached Files: