Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Design process

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Hexag, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Hexag

Hexag New
    Builder

Hi !

I’ve posted one or two questions since today in this forum, and I’ve got really helpful answers ! So, in order to continue seriously my project, I’ve chosen to post all my other questions here.

So, I'm planning to build 3D printer for the first time. I've been spending my last weeks thinking about :
    • the 3D printing processes : FDM, DLP, SLA, etc.
    • the different mechanical designs : "XY head Z bed", "XZ head Y bed", etc.
    • the motion system solutions : MakerSlide, Openbuilds V-Slot ;), smooth rods, etc.
    • the different drivens (is it the right word ?) possibilities : belts, lead screws, etc.
    • etc.
    After a little while, I end up doing a list of the characteristics that I needed for my printer :
    • Build volume : around 30x30x30 cm
    • Speed : not particularly important, obviously the faster, the better
    • Layer thickness : min. 100 microns, as small as possible
    • Resolution : also as small as possible
    • Capable of dual extruder
    • Strong and stable overall design
    So, based on these characteristics, I made some choices : FDM printing process, "XZ head Y bed" mechanism and Openbuilds V-Slot as motion and frame system. However I'm still esitating about two basic points :
    • the drivens : belts or lead screws ? I will certainly use lead screws for the Z axis, for quite obvious reasons (precision and stability). But for the other axis, I was wondering if the precision and the stability provided by the lead screws are worth it, despite the loss of speed and the rise of the final cost.
    • the frame design : there are a lot of frame design possibilities with the "XZ head Y bed" mechanism, like the : MendelMax 2.0, Prusa i3, Lulzbot Taz, Lautr3k, etc. Which one would be the best (in my case the strongest and the more stable) ?
    What do you suggest regarding these questions ? Moreover, is my overall process right ? And are my choices appropriate ?

I hope this make sense and I'm waiting for your answers, comments or suggestions ;) !

2. Hexag

Hexag New
    Builder

Any idea ?