Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

cutting services

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by DIY Guru, Jul 31, 2015.

1. DIY Guru

DIY Guru New
    Builder

Does openbuilds offer cutting services I am about to Order the parts I need for my aquarium stand but I need the rails to be cut to a specific size. I don't have the equipment to cut them my self.

2. Ronald van Arkel

Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Best thing you can do is to buy yourself a miter-block and hack-saw, they always come in handy. OpenBuilds does not provide any cutting service.

-Ronald

3. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

At the moment no, but we are looking into having this available
    If you ask in the notes section of your order (and its not a lot) they will usually do it for you ;)

4. DIY Guru

DIY Guru New
    Builder

I just needed 4 pices to be cut. I was planning on buying 4 of the 40mm by 1000mm long rail having each cut. So each pice would give one 330mm and the other 670mm

5. nate campbell

Builder

Dont forget about the kerf!

6. Ronald van Arkel

Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Nate, thank you for that commend, now I know another English word that has been taken from the Dutch :p.

Yup, the kerf is about 3mm / 1/8" most likely. Plus, it's recommended to cut the end clean as well, so that's another mm or so on each side. Most of the time I would lose 6mm (if you like clean ends) on 1000mm (they are actually more 1003mm) so one would be 330mm and the other 667mm. When I design something I'll make sure the kerf is calculated in. But, with a hack-saw and miter-block the kerf would be about 1mm. With a miter-box and a aluminium-cutting-blade it's 3mm plus some machine play if you are unlucky.

-Ronald