Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Current Nema 23

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Jan9, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Jan9

Jan9 New
    Builder

Hey all,

I'm trying to run a Nema23 2315HS300AW stepper motor with max 3 A/Phase.
    The power supply provides 24 V DC, 2.5 A and 60W max. However, the driver I'm using (Big Easy Driver from Sparkfun) is only providing max. 2 A.

Will the motor run with 2 A, or lets say 1.8 A, or am I trying to do the impossible?

All i got so far was a little bit of vibrating and a step forward then backwards shortly after turning on the power supply, then the movement stops. I also only gave input for forward movement, so it does not make sense that it will do a backward step.

I connected the red and blue wires to A and the green and yellow wires to B. As far as i know the polarity does not matter.

Thanks for the help.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

#2 Peter Van Der Walt, Feb 10, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  3. Jan9

Jan9 New
    Builder

Thank you for the fast reply!

I checked the coil pairs again with a meter, i got that right, so red & blue is one coil and yellow & green is the other coil. I also tried out all reasonable combinations for the polarity without any success. Maybe the driver is broken? Why is it only providing power to the motor shortly after turning on the power and then nothing?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Overheats, cut itself off to protect it? What drivers are you using

5. Jan9

Jan9 New
    Builder

Im using the Big Easy Driver from Sparkfun: Big Easy Driver Hookup Guide - learn.sparkfun.com together with an Arduino Uno R3. I used this hookup guide to connect everything so the wiring should be alright. I also checked with a meter that the Arduino sends the correct commands to the driver.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Way underpowered for a NEMA23 :(

7. Jan9

Jan9 New
    Builder

Hm I'm not very happy with the driver... I already fried one so i have to rebuy one or getting another driver anyways.. You have any suggestions for a good driver that can run with my power supply ( 24V, 2.5A, max 60W)? Thanks again for your help, very much appreciated !

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Get a Wantai DQ542MA - we used to supply them, but sadly not anymore. Bulletproof, easy to hook up, super powerful.

upload_2021-2-10_18-33-44.png

9. Corey Corbin

Corey Corbin Well-Known
    Builder

Since we are confessing too fried drivers. I have to come clean I fried one too! Actually popped a capacitor. I think I mixed up the the 2 hots I was re wiring my controller board. And I think laid a positive wire to one of the drivers to be in series and pushed it to 48volts. I had 2x24vdc power supplies running 4 drivers. 2 per PSU. TB6600 drivers stated only 40vdc max. I heard hissing and then a pop. Kind of scared the tar out of me. Oh I bought some new drivers. DM542S. Steppers are much quiet then those TB6600's.[​IMG]

10. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

If we are in a confessional mode I'll join too.

Forgive me father because I have sinned. I connected the 36V positive to the negative and the negative to the positive on my DM542. I was lucky, only the fuse inside it blew. I had ordered some fuses but had in the meantime used thin copper wire as a temporary fused.

11. ljvb

ljvb Well-Known
    Builder

I fried the y axis limit switch input... from static discharge of my shopvac hose... (on an XPro V4).

I ended up replacing it with a 6 pack universal cnc controller and 4 of these (and upgrade my stepper motors to Nema 23 400oz 4A steppers
    Digital Stepper Driver 2.4-7.2A 18-80VAC or 36-110VDC for Nema 34 Motor

Yes, I know it was 34, but they work fine for 23s as well.