Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Creative Common license has changed

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by pek, Jun 15, 2020.

1. pek

pek Journeyman
    Builder

I have seen that the Creative Common license for Openbuilds parts has changed recently from CC BY-SA to CC BY-NC-SA and I am a little surprised for two points:
    1. CC BY-NC-SA is not really an open source license as it breaks the first rule of OS regarding free distribution. You can read this rule here: The Open Source Definition | Open Source Initiative
    2. According to Creative Commons — Attribution 4.0 International — CC BY 4.0 under "Considerations for licensors" they explain that the license cannot be revoked. If you add "NC" to the BY-SA license that means the old one is not usable anymore and so revoked.
    I am big fan of what Openbuilds has invented and I want to be sure I am using your licensing correctly. Thank you in advance for putting some light on this change.

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hello Grégoire

First, I would like to say thank you for the kind words and for being a fan of the work that the Team here at OpenBuilds accomplishes. We strive to be leaders in open source innovation and it shows globally though replication.

You will be happy to know that OpenBuilds has not changed its licensing on it's own products as they remain open source but over the years, OpenBuilds has been adding products not created by OpenBuilds itself and these products fall under a different IP Trademark and/or license - for example - Dewalt Router. We have been making an effort to help define other products licensing to ensure our partners feel confident in working with OpenBuilds regardless of their licensing. In short, we don't want everyone thinking everything on OpenBuilds is open source. Unfortunately, this just is not the case.

There seems to be some confusion and so we'll work towards clarifying the OpenBuilds Open Source licensing so everyone knows how to adhere to the rules but for a general overview, please see here.

We have always had the best intentions in mind for the community that we proudly helped build.

Please stay tuned

3. pek

pek Journeyman
    Builder

Thank you Mark, good news!

I have to confess the sentence "OpenBuilds Parts are released under the following Open Source License (...) CC BY-NC-SA 4.0" on your page Creative Common license has changed was a bit confusing for me. I know you are doing great work for the open source community so I was surprised. Now it is cleared, thank you again!

Keep doing the great work :)

Mark Carew likes this.