Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Creating 3mm 3D Text with Sketchup and SketchUcan

Discussion in 'CAD' started by Rpafenberg, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Rpafenberg

Builder

I seem to have a problem trying to engrave small text on a stereo chassis's front and back panels. The text should be rather small, around 3mm high is the general size. The problem is that all fonts create a letter outline which is too small to pocket with any reasonable size bit. A reasonable solution would be a single line font that could be followed using the centerline tool. As far as I know, that doesn't seem possible with Sketchup. I suspect I could create the letters from scratch using Sketchup's line tool but setting up the guidelines to do this properly seems exceptionally labor intensive. Any other ideas on how to do this more effectively would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Roy

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hiya
    If you have not yet, please watch this

Now, for such small text I would use an engraving bit, maybe 15 or 30 dregree point (I think the ones I have are 30) and instead of pocketing the letter I would set the outline to a 'centerline cut'.

There are single line fonts available for download....just google it.

GrayUK likes this.
  3. Rpafenberg

Builder

Thanks David, I knew that I needed a font that could be cut with a single line but I didn't know that it was a widespread problem that had been solved by engravers in the past and easy solutions existed just a google away.

David the swarfer likes this.
  4. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

5. Rpafenberg

Builder

Dave, I had loaded CamBam Stick Fonts just before receiving your new post. They are a little hard to see in the 3D Text Menu Box but they seem load and work OK with SketchUcam's Centerline Tool. Unfortunately, I am going to need a better bit before I try running this.

David the swarfer likes this.