Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Corian plates?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by CharlieShimota, Nov 15, 2017.

1. CharlieShimota

CharlieShimota Well-Known
    Builder

Hi, I just recently discovered DIY CNC machines. I really want to get started on an Ox build and was wondering if anyone out there has used solid surface material for the plates? I have some Corian left over from a counter-top job and it's very sturdy and easy to machine. The thickness is 1/2 inch, would that be to thick for the plates?

Attached Files:

• 028.JPG
      028.JPG
      File size:
      167.3 KB
      Views:
    • 029.JPG
      029.JPG
      File size:
      109.6 KB
      Views:
    MaryD likes this.
  2. MaryD

MaryD OpenBuilds Team

3. Ariel Yahni

Ariel Yahni OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Om sure Corian can be machined but not sure if the would work for plates. Corian can be susceptible to heat and can also bend ( last one is actually a good quality but for countertops )

MaryD likes this.
  4. CharlieShimota

Builder

Just finish roughing out the side plates, now I can start drilling holes. The reason for this approach is that I don't have access to a Cnc to make the plates, so if I can build one with the Corian then I can mill the plates more precisely later. The material is actually very solid, there is no flex what so ever!

Attached Files:

• 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      131.2 KB
      Views:
    • 017.JPG
      017.JPG
      File size:
      141.7 KB
      Views:
    • 018.JPG
      018.JPG
      File size:
      85.5 KB
      Views:
    • 021.JPG
      021.JPG
      File size:
      115.3 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      123 KB
      Views:
  5. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

It's not a very rigid material, but I think this is going to work well for what you intend to do Charlie. Keep us updated.

Joe

6. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer

Savvas did a Acetel (Delrin) cnc machine very successfully, Corian is actually over 2x stiffer than acetel so this will work fine.. the only issue i worry about with plates other than metal is the wear on the eccentric nut holes every time you move them they will bite into the plate a little more.

7. CharlieShimota

Builder

I'm basing my design on Savvas' model, I figured if he could do temporary plates from plywood the Solid surface material should do fine. Thanks for all the feedback, like I said, this is my first attempt at building a cnc and I know there will be a bit of a learning curve. I never would of even considered such a project until I stumbled upon Openbuilds for inspiration, Thank you!

Gary Caruso and GrayUK like this.
  8. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer

You are off to a good start the plates look great!

9. CharlieShimota

Builder

The plates are all routed out, time to start drilling holes. If anyone has any tips on how to accurately mark and drill holes, I'd like to hear from you. 035.JPG

Kyo and MaryD like this.
  10. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

I tend to run out sticky labels on my printer. Be sure however to re-measure the holes on the printouts to make sure the printer hasn't distorted anything. The only holes that are truly critical are for the (non-eccentric) wheels that run along the top of the Y-axis. If you have a drill press it would be a good idea to set up a fence board to where you merely slide the piece along the fence thus guaranteeing all the holes are in the same line. If you don't, it would be a good idea to use some form of perpendicular drill guide and to center punch all the holes before drilling.

Joe Santarsiero likes this.
  11. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

When I did my aluminium plates, i did as Rick mentioned and used a fence on the drill press. I uses a nail to put an indentation in the center of the hole to help prevent the bit from wandering, but maybe it is unnecessary with your material.

There is a way to print out the plates on paper and I did that and documented it in my build. I made sure to put crosshairs in my sketchup drawings so finding the center of the holes would be easy. Then I stuck them to the material with 3M spray adhesive

Kyo likes this.
  12. CharlieShimota

Builder

Thanks for the info. I ended up taping off the face so I could see my marks easier then lit it up big time with a halogen lamp and found a super fine mechanical pencil from my drafting days.
    After marking everything I ground a pin point on an old scratch awl and marked the centers, then just started a hole with a 1/16" bit before drilling the actual hole. It all fit together great, man I'm having a blast! 056.JPG 064.JPG

MaryD, Kyo and Giarc like this.