Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

CoreXY 3D Printer

Discussion in '3D printers' started by CoreCube3D, Jan 4, 2019.

1. CoreCube3D

CoreCube3D Well-Known
    Builder

CoreCube3D published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Tim Curtis

Builder

Great idea adding the microfit 3.0 terminals into the v connect head!

3. CoreCube3D

CoreCube3D Well-Known
    Builder

I have this mounted on the X axis now and will give it a first test tomorrow. It looks like it will work pretty well. I spent yesterday wiring up all the connections. I have 2 x 6pin micro-fit, one for each head in a dual head config. And also have a 2500mW laser head ready to go (only uses one connector). I hope to test that within a day or two. I have some photos I'll upload in a few minutes.

*Updated now.

#3 CoreCube3D, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  4. CoreCube3D

CoreCube3D Well-Known
    Builder

I'll upload the design files on thingiverse.com (user: neocogent) after I've had a chance to test them and make final fixes.

5. Tim Curtis

Builder

6. Armorfiend

Builder

What is the size of the print surface (Usable)?

7. CoreCube3D

CoreCube3D Well-Known
    Builder

I think I have it set for 360x372x360mm right now. It may be possible to squeeze slightly more out of it. I had to reduce it a bit when I set it up for the dual extruder heads. So actually both heads cannot reach that full area. I've never tried using the full space yet.

The problem isn't really making the machine bigger as the t-slot bars are cheap enough but the build times get ridiculous. Even doing a modest sized build can get into multiple days and I think trying to print something as big as this machine could handle may take weeks. However, it is useful for long thin parts without large volumes. I made it big because I wanted to print some struts that wouldn't fit on a smaller 200mm bed.

Armorfiend likes this.
  8. Wombaticus

Wombaticus Well-Known
    Builder

ever since I saw a 3D printed violin, I have wanted to build a larger printer than my RepRap one and have been studying builds on here. As my knowledge grew, I thought of extras that I wanted such as a easily exchangable head for different nozzle sizes (changing the whole head quickly rather than faffing with unscrewing the nozzle), which also led to thinking about engraving and routing heads. My downfall is that I have concentration problems and cannot get my head around CAD software. Your Build is practically exactly what I have envisioned in my head but have failed to achieve. You are a beauty! I may have to pinch the plans and save up to make one! Well done mate

9. CoreCube3D

CoreCube3D Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks for your comment.

A number of things I'm still fine tuning but once I get there I'll upload files for printing parts. I think the total parts cost ran between $400-500 Australian dollars. That was only possible because most of the stuff came from China. Local prices are generally at least double for same items.

I've been swapping between the dual head and laser daily lately. It's quick and works but I have some connection issues and I'd like to reprint the head-connector part to get a better fit. It's been running around the clock the last week as I'm currently printing all the parts for a Root 3 CNC machine.It has about a dozen 8 hour prints plus many shorter ones. I'm happy with the parts it's making though. I'll probably post the CNC machine on here later when it's running.

BTW I've been using Blender (free open source) for creating things and editing parts I find. It's not quite as technical as CAD software but it still has a steep learning curve due to many tools for modelling. Just about everything I know about using it has been found by googling what I want to do.

10. Wombaticus

Wombaticus Well-Known
    Builder

Ta for that, I shall download it and have a go, I have onlybeen able to create very basic models using TinkerCAD so far and it was the main chassis I couldn't work out how to design as every time I moved one of the struts it would split into its component lines and only shift one of them.

11. CoreCube3D

CoreCube3D Well-Known
    Builder

There's a bunch of fairly decent Blender for 3D printing tutorials on youtube. That helps with setting up a good initial workspace as it can be used for different purposes like animation an video as well. I find the actual controls non-intuitive for me but once I got the hang of the weird way of doing things it becomes second nature and only a problem if I haven't used it for months. After that and some basics I just found I could google some question like "blender cut hole in block" etc. and find usable tutorials.

Wombaticus likes this.