Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Control XYZ Probe Issue

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by RWatz, Jun 26, 2024.

1. RWatz

RWatz New
    Builder

I have a gen 1 xcarve that I got a while back. Decided to ditch the stock controller and add an Openbuilds X32 black box.

spent the day rewiring the supply, all the stepper and limit switches. Got everything up and moving. Control Software was updated. Firmware was updated.

All the X/Y/Z movements are correct. All limit switches work and verified in Control. Homing works with all axis moving directionally to the limit switches. Had to increase the pull up setting to avoid alarms.

Got out the new Openbuilds XYZ probe and set that up. Verified that the probe can be seen in control when the magnet makes contact and get the green light.

I go into the Probe option and align the bit over the probe plate. Attach the magnet and hit confirm and then Probe, the X & Y axis move slightly to the right and back, then the Z axis begins to lower. So I hit abort. Tried this multiple times.

any ideas as to what else might need to be changed?

#1 RWatz, Jun 26, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2024
  2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

If you're on the XYZ probe tab (look at the tabs up top), then that's how it works. It move from the hole to the middle of the plate. Then moves down to probe Z. Then over to X. Then over to Y.

3. RWatz

RWatz New
    Builder

Sorry I wasn’t clear. The movement is much beyond the area of the probe surface. I’d say it’s at least 6-8 inches away from the probe

4. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You need to set your steps/mm. Use the calibration wizards in the Wizards and Tools menu.

5. RWatz

RWatz New
    Builder

That was it! Thanks for your assistance

sharmstr likes this.