Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Control Software compatibility to other hardware

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by sonex761, Feb 18, 2021.

1. sonex761

sonex761 New
    Builder

I have built a CNC Plasma cutter and was going to use Mach 3 for my software until a friend showed me the control software. I hooked up my board but got a firmware error. Is the software compatible or configurable with other hardware or only open builds hardware?

Stephen

2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

It works with other controllers, but it has to be running grbl.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. sonex761

sonex761 New
    Builder

How do I figure out if it is running grbl?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Mach3 is like the opposite of Grbl :) - so no LPT based breakouts, etc. Check the specs of the controller you want to know - it should say whether it runs Grbl
    Learn more about Grbl here > gnea/grbl
    If you don't have a controller yet, consider the https://docs.openbuilds.com/blackbox

[​IMG]

5. sonex761

sonex761 New
    Builder

I do have a controller, but it came with Mach3 so I am guessing it won't work.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Then no, but considering that Mach3 has also been a dead application since 2012 (See https://www.machsupport.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Changelist90.txt) - so you may want to throw that controller aside and invest in something more modern, and a tonne easier to use.

Scrupolous chinese sellers include Mach3 controllers because it used to be the bees knees a decade ago, and they rely on people who do not know better, to believe its still relevant today

Mach3 has been superceded by Mach4 many years ago. A licence for Mach4 would run you $200 Newfangled Solutions Mach4-Hobby plus another $25 for the Parallel port plugin (Newfangled Solutions Parallel Port Legacy Plugin for Mach4) so you might as well order a BlackBox for $199.99 instead (BlackBox Motion Control System ) and end up with a modern easy to use controller, packed with all the accesories and features you need, and its not vendor locked like the Mach4 licence, you can use ANY of the many awesome and FREE / Open Source Grbl applications with it.

#6 Peter Van Der Walt, Feb 18, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    David the swarfer and Rhett E like this.