Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

constant servo noise on 'pen up'

Discussion in 'DrawBot' started by roses, Oct 7, 2020.

1. roses

roses New
    Builder

I've been reading through the following thread >>

Arco 1010 servo action problem

Which helped me resolve some issues in setting up a servo for controlling pen up/down movements on my Acro.

However when I click the 'pen up' button in Blackbox Control the servo makes a constant noise which sounds like it is doing a lot of work. It does not make that noise on pen down, and the range of movement is fairly small, and not approaching the limits for the servo.

$30 is set to 255 and $31 to 0, laser is not enabled.

Posting this here in case there are any other parameters I should check. I plan to test out a different servo tomorrow.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Your pen-up value may be set too far, ie if servo stalled mechanically before it reached the commanded set position, it will keep trying to get there

3. roses

roses New
    Builder

Okay, so it turns out that the noise is coming from the Blackbox Controller and not from the servo.

The volume increases as the pen-up value increases. I currently have pen-up set at 30 and it is clearly audible.

My wiring follows this diagram https://docs.openbuilds.com/lib/exe/fetch.php?cache=&media=docs:blackbox:rcservo-wiring.png

Also, the BB controller makes the noise on pen-up even when the servo and/or servo power supply (5V) are disconnected.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

A very high-pitched wine could indicate you are pushing the onboard 5v step-down converter too hard! (pulling too much current to power the servo)

The Servo port is meant to deliver power to small servos, don't try using a 17kgcm for example (;
    Use one of those tiny 8g microservos, more than enough to lift a pen

5. roses

roses New
    Builder

I'm not using a servo port, just using the toolhead jack to send the pwm signal to the servo. Also, I am getting the same noise from the blackbox controller whether i use a sub-micro or a micro servo.

It isn't clear to me why I am getting noise from the controller even when the servo and it's power supply are disconnected.

Does the relay mode jumper need to be removed when using the Servo as it does when using a Laser? >> docs:blackbox:connect-3-wire-laser [OpenBuilds Documentation]

6. Peter Van Der Walt

7. roses

roses New
    Builder

thanks, i will try that out and give an update

8. roses

roses New
    Builder

I removed the relay jumper and it's all working fine now, no more bad noises :)