Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Confused on what to check next

Discussion in 'CNC Projects' started by Salamander, Sep 10, 2023.

1. Salamander

Builder

Hi everyone, hopefully I am posting this in the correct forum. Yesterday I was cutting some plexi to see what it would look like and how all of my pieces would fit together for my project. The dxf file shows the measurement as 11-1/4 x 6-1/2, everything went wrong and I had to repeat the cut a few times, I ended up just letting the machine continue making the screw holes and profile the shape on the plexi even though it was cutting very inaccurate.

Once the cut had completed I measured the profile on the cut areas of the bottom scrap board and the entire shape came out to almost 14". I then checked my steps to make sure I am getting exactly 100mm in the X and Y position, that turned out to be very accurate.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this and have it figured out but I am totally lost. My machine is calibrated and it should be cutting what I am presenting but its not.

I am using the openbuilds software along with estlcam. At first I thought it has to do with the dxf file, but I have dimensioned the file over and over and the measurements are solid. Why in the world would an 11-1/4" piece cut out to almost 14" long.

Does anyone have any idea on what I need to investigate.

Thanks

2. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Upload example files so we can take a look.
    regards
    Gary

3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

also, calibrate over longer distances, 100mm is too short for the best accuracy. ie you cannot see 0.01% error over 100mm, but you can over 1000mm

Mark Carew likes this.