Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Compatible g code writing software

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Steve Wedige, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Steve Wedige

Builder

what is your suggested software that will write g codes that will auto adapt to my 1010 machine?

2. Steve Wedige

Builder

I can get a g code from another software to the simulation but how do I get it to the cut file/board

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

4. Steve Wedige

Builder

Not the answer i'm looking for, I can get the g code to simulate, but then how do I get it to start cutting?

5. Peter Van Der Walt

By setting the stock origin, then clicking Run Job. You didn't mention specifically what you are stumbling against, please elaborate if you need help with specifics.

The link above is relevant to your initial question
    but apart from that , it is still important because your GCODE has to be Grbl compatible to run in the first place.

In terms of your second question, the documentation linked also (refer to the menu on the left) forms part of the whole Software section: for example also related docs:software:overview [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Did you watch the video from the documentation yet? It details the whole procedure, setting origin, starting the cut, etc

(Embedded below for convenience)

It helps to include specifics, like which application you are using - its really hard to give advice on "another software" and the workflow without know what are working with :)

#5 Peter Van Der Walt, Jul 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  6. Steve Wedige

Builder

I am using Carbide Create, the g codes, are easy to write, your program will run a simulation of them but will not cut anything. your software is very difficult to understand and use, I watched the video, it's not very informative and the screen for drawing is about the size of my phone. I've seen it larger in some of your videos, however, I have yet to figure out how to do that. Please help me out, the assembly videos were great, the operation of the software needs some help, I need some help.

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Have you read through the software links above yet.

It explains the difference between CAM (the BIG one) and CONTROL (the small screen) its not the same application. One is for converting files to gcode. The other is for sending to the machine. Both are also discussed in the video. That is all discussed on the Software overview page linked above (CAD > CAM > CONTROL)

I think you only looked at CAM. You have to install CONTROL too - which, not surprisingly is documented docs:software:openbuilds-control [OpenBuilds Documentation] as well :) - step by step.

The documentation also explains alternatives to all the software if you dislike it so much :)

Take a few mins, and read that documentation please. Click on the Blue links above and also note the menu on the left of the Documentation website

You also have to read the Grbl wiki at gnea/grbl by the way, to understand the Firmware (CAD > CAM > CONTROL > Firmware > Hardware)

Did you have the volume up, so you can hear the voiceover? Before you try your own gcode, rather follow the Hello World along on your own exactly as in the video, build up some skill

#7 Peter Van Der Walt, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    David the swarfer likes this.