Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Compare Machine Bundles

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Hoth, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Hoth

Hoth New
    Builder

I'm interested in one of the machine bundles, but it's difficult to see how they compare. If you pick each one and upgrade it to the max (what I'd want) they end up being approximately the same cost, within a few hundred bucks.

I want to cut plywood (thick as possible) and would like to be able to cut a half sheet (4'x4') if possible, but a 1/4 sheet minimum (2'x4'). I have a ShopBot PRS Standard 4'x8' right now, and it's just too big for me. Takes up half my garage and I never really use more than the first 2' of it. But it's good quality, so I want something smaller but of equal sturdiness and power.

Is there a resource that compares the Lead CNC, the Sphinx and the WorkBee? My ShopBot uses lead screws, but I don't really know whether belts or lead screws are better. And I'd like a more powerful router than the standard DeWalt 1-1/4 hp router - I have a Porter Cable 3-1/4 (3-1/2?) hp router now and I like it.

Thanks for any advice!

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

So, when I built my CNC 5 years ago from OpenBuilds components, my size requirements were similar. I can get a 1/4 sheet on it, or with tiling, I have run an 8 foot narrower piece through. I personally do not have experience with any of the kits, but I have never had an issue with my 1 1/4 HP router cutting plywood, or any wood at 2500 mm/min (100 ipm). That being said, maybe you are cutting much deeper per pass. If you want to keep that router you could consider the LEAD with the High Z modification so there are two C-beams supporting the additional weight. But I would mount it as low as I could to still be able to get my thickest material underneath. Or, what I would most likly do, is get a Workbee 1510 and convert the 1500mm axis to 1/2-10 5 start lead screws from McMaster-Carr. That is what I used on my custom build. My only concern would be the weight of that router causing deflection in the cbeam. Some people have added additional support for heavier spindles. Maybe they will chime in.