Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

CNC water cooled spindle & inverter kit

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by bas_Reid, Jun 21, 2018.

1. bas_Reid

bas_Reid New
    Builder

Hi guys,

I am considering getting the C-beam XL and extending it to 1500mm x 1500mm. For this reason, and also because I want a long lasting, powerful machine that wont stress the steppers too much with harder materials, I am considering getting the below spindle. I also want to be able to use this machine as a small batch production machine rather than only using it for prototyping.

CNC Spindle & Inverter & Water Pump Kit

The specs listed on the site are as follows:
    1. All brush-type routers are designed for a normal lifespan of approximately 1,000 working hours. CNC spindles are designed for a lifespan of 10,000 working hours before a major overhaul or replacement is required.
    2. Even the quietest of standard routers is noisy, a CNC spindle on the other hand runs whisper quiet. The most noise is generated only when the bit engages with the work piece.
    3. It comes standard with an external inverter - you can turn it on and off and adjust the speed remotely as standard.
    4. The inverter converts standard single-phase 240V to three-phase 415V 2.2kW power - to handle ANY routing cut.
    5. The electronic inverter maintains maximum torque literally from 0 - 24,000rpm.
    6. The spindle uses industry-standard ER20 collets, so with a full collet set, you can run any bit with a shank size 2 - 13mm. The spindle comes standard with 12-13mm collet to run normal 1/2in shank bits.
    7. The spindle is water-cooled - meaning it can run all-day, every day without variation, regardless of ambient temperature.
    8. The collet sits a comfortable distance to ensure above-table bit changes straight out of the box.
    Are there issues with water cooled spindles?
    I am inclined to go for those over air cooled simply as I want longevity and repeatability.
    I am also considering modifying to regulate the spindle speed through the software rather than at the controller.... Unnecessary?

Any advice from anyone who has upgraded to a spindle of this calibre would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

mp1001 likes this.
  2. Colin Hart

Colin Hart Well-Known
    Builder

Hi bas_Reid

Did you get anywhere with your upgrade? I am looking to do this, but am interested if:
    - Power of spindle vs what material have you cut?
    - Have you managed to hook it up to your controller and therefore can you control it using GCODE?

Hope you had success, interested in how it went.

Regards

Colin