Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

CNC Jr.

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Steve B, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known
    Builder

Steve B published a new build:

Read more about this build...

John Williams likes this.
  2. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known
    Builder

Not part of the build, but... before I could even start this build, I needed more space in the workshop. This turned into a workshop remodel. I am very pleased how this has turned out. 40W laser on the left, CNC jr. on the right.

2015-02-12 13.00.59.jpg

3. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known
    Builder

A comment about my gantry. I really struggled with the plate configuration. My goal was to use parts store parts, since I felt the OX plates were a little overkill for this machine, and I didn't have the same confidence in drilling the wheel holes precisely. While the side gantry plates were easy to drill using a laser cut template, the wheel holes need to be just right. The primary goal was to keep the spindle as close as possible to the gantry, to keep flex down when the Z asserts force down. However, this was easier said that done and I built/rebuilt the configuration about 20 times. I ended up using two small pieces of 20x20 to space the plates apart, and I angled them to get better hole alignment and rigidity between the two plates. I think this could be done with a single plate that is about 20-40mm wider than the current plate, and spacer blocks for the Z axis. I may use the current configuration to cut one out.

[​IMG]

4. Mopar32985

Mopar32985 Well-Known
    Builder

looks like a great little machine

5. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known
    Builder

Some updated pictures of the finished machine. I'll be updating the build log later on....
    2015-03-13 15.49.16.jpg 2015-03-13 15.24.35.jpg

6. Alex272

Alex272 New
    Builder

Nice job.

7. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

8. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

Excellent work and I just love that enclosure :thumbsup:

Tweakie.

9. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known
    Builder

Added Buttons.
    2015-04-05 12.58.24.jpg

10. elefort

elefort New
    Builder

Great build. I like how you used the black extrusions

11. RJT

RJT New
    Builder

I like the idea of a quiet machine since I'll be working in basement that's like an empty cavern. Do you think you could easily enclose a larger machine?

12. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known
    Builder

I don't see why you couldn't. If it were me, I'd design the enclosure so that I could still get easy access to everything. I can't say that the enclosure I have designed has cut the noise down much. I haven't done much cutting with it, mostly test runs. However, the enclosure will help significantly with dust and containing chippings. My kids like to watch the laser cut, so I think they will like being able to get up close and looking through the acrylic window and watching this cut. It will make it much safer, and contain the mess to a very small area.

13. zaalexander

Builder

Nice looking machine! It seems like a good DIY alternative to some of the new, small form-factor machines like the Nomad and Othermill. What kind of travel are you getting on the Z and how's the rigidity? I'm hoping to get 5-6" on the Z-axis, but I'm worried about too much flex. Also, how are you attaching those linear bearings to the extrusion? You mentioned clamps. Do they just bolt on?

14. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known
    Builder

I have about 2" of travel on the Z axis, but for this setup, that is plenty. The intent is to mill mostly small things: circuit boards, jewelry, small parts, etc. The 12mm rail is bolted right onto the v-slot using standard 12mm mounts. Scroll up on this page and you'll see some photos and notes about it.

Oh, and for the linear bearings, they are attached to the v-slot gantry just using pipe strapping! I folded the ends of the strapping over to make it a little stronger on the ends, then made it the right length to be able to have lots of tension on it with the bolt about 2-3mm off the surface. The V-Slot keeps the bearing perfectly aligned.