Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

CNC-inator3000

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Nicademus, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Nicademus

Nicademus New
    Builder

Nicademus published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Rhys Wiebe

Builder

So you're making a big-*** Ultimaker? I like it. Also why do you keep on deliberately not mentioning Ultimaker by name? :p

3. Nicademus

Nicademus New
    Builder

Haha - I like to be Brand agnostic where I can...Even thought I have specifically mentioned the A8...It's perhaps habitual from working in IT in Retail companies which always have a strong focus on product exclusivity and naming rights.

That said, mainly also as I have never physically seen or touched an Ultimaker, so the last thing I want to do is specifically say it is like one and have someone come back and say "It's nothing like it...your drive train is all wrong, the Ultimaker doesn't have 3 lead screws, etc. etc." - also although the 3D printing space is very Open Source, which is just perfect for Makers like us - the moment someone goes to the patent office, you can be sure that you have to be careful what you say and create, and in this instance Ultimaker have patented their designs. Company update: Ultimaker files first patents | Ultimaker . That being said, I do know they are still highly committed to community development - so shout out to them in this respect. Ultimaker FTW! (insert blatant plug here in the hopes they send me one to review...HAHA)

The reason I have Named the A8 on the other hand is, I have one and it is actually quite amazing in terms of what it goes through, so I have experience enough with it to know its positive aspects as well as its misgivings, etc. Being in the Media industry as well there is nothing I hate more than product endorsements for products people don't use - Like big coffee ads with big actors that don't actually drink their coffee...or Pain medication "I'm a mum, and when I'm on my feet all day..." - at least they put fine print at the bottom these days saying "Mum portrayed by an actor" !!!

Haha - Thanks for the comment anyway Rhys - maybe by the time the Build is finished I will assess how close it is to the big Ulti-Beasts and might change the description :)

Rhys Wiebe likes this.
  4. Crash047

Crash047 New
    Builder

Nicademus, fantastic to see a build with easy to source parts in Aus! I am following with great interest and would love to build this rig as I've always wanted an all in one style rig.

Can't wait for further build instructions and parts lists!

5. Nicademus

Nicademus New
    Builder

@Crash047 Thanks for that - Yeah and of course as we know most of the parts sourced from Ebay regardless of "local" delivery - you know they are coming via Honkers - Which is all good, they are cheap and makes the build process cheaper...Sometimes...

I'm also trying to recycle and re-use where possible, both from a carbon footprint perspective, and to keep cost down.

There are a few other things I haven't yet mentioned in the build list - will update this weekend - like a material I swear by - I built a case for a Custom streaming PC out of it (along with the COnnect-It also for the framework.
    It's called Aligloss, it is a composite material, of .5mm aluminium either side, sandwiching 2mm polycarb in the middle. It is surprisingly tough, light, and VERY easy to work with for cutting, etc. So it is excellent for prototyping, and for builds like this, you can quickly cut up a few pieces and work it into things like brackets for end-stops, etc.

For me I have made my prototype Build platform out of it. It is not 100% laterally stable, in other words any weight in the middle and it bends a bit, but if I was to bolt a sold build plate on there - like my existing A8 Plate (which I am doing tomorrow for testing.) - it would be fine I think.

Aligloss 1220 x 810 x 3mm White/Black Composite Panel

It's usually used for Signs - but I have a feeling it is also used in Commercial construction also - that link is for a 1.2m panel, but I saw some guys stocking the shelves a couple of weeks ago with what looked like 2.4 x 3m !

Crash047 likes this.
  6. Yllesia

Yllesia New
    Builder

This build interests me so much ! I always wanted to design a CNC/3DPrinter but if you offer Laser engraving it's a must have ! I'm still student and I don't have 3D printer or CNC yet. i want to build this all in one printer for some cost and space reasons. I will follow your progress carefully and maybe start to do more accurate research on the subject to see wich control board/Stepper driver are the best on the market !

thank you for sharing you experience ! I look forward to see your improvements

7. Nicademus

Nicademus New
    Builder

Thanks for that - yes I will update some more, I've just got some other Work tasks I need to finish over the next week or so then will get some more updates. Printing is going well, I expect to mount my dremel on next week to see how it goes and have a Laser on order too, but have no idea about it's dimensions, haha - so will have to wait until it is here to measure and fit.
    Repetier is good firmware for laser - the suggestion as far as steppers go is definitely to have higher stepping the better, so 1/32 or even 1/64 if the stepper drivers you get can drive that.

8. Yllesia

Yllesia New
    Builder

I'm glad to hear there will be more updates ! I would like to go for a dual extruder 3D printer/CNC and i find that Arduino2560 with ramps 1.4 (or 1.4.2) is a good deal for 3D printer with dual extruder but i still have several questions on this build :

- Due to the cutting efforts during CNC milling is the belt transmission strong enough or a screw/nut system would be better ?
    - What kind of motors do you use for X/Y and Z movements, i was thinking about using Nema 17 but i'm not sure they would have enough torque for CNC milling, maybe Nema 23 would be a better choice ?
    - Does the Ramps 1.4 board allows you to drive your motors for both CNC millign and 3D printing or you really need to use a separate board controller for CNC milling ?
    - I wanted to use TMC2310 low noise stepper driver who are really great for 3D printing (up to 1/256) but unfortunately doesn't support the Amps of Nema 23. Do you know some good low noise/high current stepper driver ?

9. Crash047

Crash047 New
    Builder

Any updates? Really hoping you'll get this completed soon!

10. Nicademus

Nicademus New
    Builder

Yes a few updates - I mean I don't expect it will ever be Finished as such...but when I get some time later this week I might update.
    Effectively that list is:
    Was having problems with belt slip due to increased friction on the slides for some reason - so opted to get hold of some extruded aluminium gears
    Glass build plate - OMG where have you been all my printing life...
    CNC scrapped on this unit for a few reasons - will explain later.
    Swapped to some better filament - will advise.

Crash047 likes this.
  11. Crash047

Crash047 New
    Builder

Let me know what happened with the CNC issues. I've finally pulled apart my reprap morgan, so will be heading to bunnings later this month to start making the frame for this. Would the CNC issues be the same for laser? Also are you using a hotbed?

Don't give up! This project is awesome :)