Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

CNC-inator3000

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Nicademus, Feb 13, 2018 at 10:42 PM.

1. Nicademus

Nicademus Well-Known
    Builder

Nicademus published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Rhys Wiebe

Builder

So you're making a big-*** Ultimaker? I like it. Also why do you keep on deliberately not mentioning Ultimaker by name? :p

3. Nicademus

Nicademus Well-Known
    Builder

Haha - I like to be Brand agnostic where I can...Even thought I have specifically mentioned the A8...It's perhaps habitual from working in IT in Retail companies which always have a strong focus on product exclusivity and naming rights.

That said, mainly also as I have never physically seen or touched an Ultimaker, so the last thing I want to do is specifically say it is like one and have someone come back and say "It's nothing like it...your drive train is all wrong, the Ultimaker doesn't have 3 lead screws, etc. etc." - also although the 3D printing space is very Open Source, which is just perfect for Makers like us - the moment someone goes to the patent office, you can be sure that you have to be careful what you say and create, and in this instance Ultimaker have patented their designs. Company update: Ultimaker files first patents | Ultimaker . That being said, I do know they are still highly committed to community development - so shout out to them in this respect. Ultimaker FTW! (insert blatant plug here in the hopes they send me one to review...HAHA)

The reason I have Named the A8 on the other hand is, I have one and it is actually quite amazing in terms of what it goes through, so I have experience enough with it to know its positive aspects as well as its misgivings, etc. Being in the Media industry as well there is nothing I hate more than product endorsements for products people don't use - Like big coffee ads with big actors that don't actually drink their coffee...or Pain medication "I'm a mum, and when I'm on my feet all day..." - at least they put fine print at the bottom these days saying "Mum portrayed by an actor" !!!

Haha - Thanks for the comment anyway Rhys - maybe by the time the Build is finished I will assess how close it is to the big Ulti-Beasts and might change the description :)

Rhys Wiebe likes this.