Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

CNC has unexpected results when printing first job

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Kceoio, Mar 24, 2024.

1. Kceoio

Kceoio New
    Builder

Hey folks! Finally got my CNC up and running (custom built with all Open Builds Parts and some 3D printed extras). I am using the Black X32 for a controller. My print area is rather large, so I started in an open space with the router off and in the air just to make sure the motions looked appropriate before running my Hello World Code. I set zero for xyz, but when I run the program, the router takes off way outside of where the project boundaries would be and where xyz was set. If I hit go to zero, it returns to the correct position. I have believe the settings are correct in the OB Cam before I export the gcode.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Did you do a Grbl Settings profile? (Steps per mm around the 200 steps per mm mark?) - please include Grbl Settings backup for review

3. Kceoio

Kceoio New
    Builder

Thank you for your quick reply as always. Your question led me to the issue. Because my X and Y axis are long, I had to go to a bet. In the Grbl profile all 3 axis were set to 200 steps per mm (and screw driven), which of course was not correct for the belt driven axes. Once I changed these two axes to 26 steps per mm everything was resolved. Thank you again for your help on the forum. I think it is one of the greatest reasons I use tons OB parts due to the technical support help on here.

Jesse

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

now you need to run the calibration wizard, belts stretch and the calculated 26steps/mm is never accurate enough over the full lengths

5. Kceoio

Kceoio New
    Builder

Thank you!

I ran my first "Hello World" from the CAM and it was perfect. However I attempted to use another tolerance testing design in Fusion 360, built a profile and exported the gcode. The machine seems to run correctly for The X, and Y axis, but the Z axis seems to bury the bit about 1/4 inch into the wood, when it is suppose to be set to remove 1mm at a time. I have played with the profiles in F360 a lot and I think everything is correct. I know this forum is not for trouble shooting F360, however I am not sure where the issue lies and thought with the OB grbl settings and F360 gcode you might be able to see what I am doing wrong.

Thank you in advance! Appreciate you folks as always.

Attached Files:

6. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Did you by any chance for get to set the Z 0, or had you changed endmills and did not re-zero the Z axis? It is a mistake I will make every once in a while.

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Or while doing the first Z+ moves, perhaps hitting the Z axis hard stop and losing position? (Heights set too high?)