Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

CNC Greenland Paddle Carver build

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Andre Cooke, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Andre Cooke

Andre Cooke Well-Known
    Builder

2. GeoffH

GeoffH Well-Known
    Builder

Looking forward to seeing the cut Paddles...

Andre Cooke likes this.
  3. Andre Cooke

Andre Cooke Well-Known
    Builder

Yes, I am planning on milling a prototype to try out this spring, build should be completed within a month, then I will do my first tests and prototype

4. GeoffH

GeoffH Well-Known
    Builder

Looked at your model quickly and looks to me as though you could cut it all from top and bottom. I'm guessing that you know something that I don't :), anyway good luck with your project.

5. Andre Cooke

Andre Cooke Well-Known
    Builder

My cnc is not long enough to do/cut in one flip, Paddle 78 inches long.

If this works out well, I am pondering extending the X axis to 96 inches, to cut it as you mentionned

6. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Builder

Cool! I made that paddle, too. I used the band saw, table saw, spokeshave, random orbital sander and router table. I didn't have my CNC back then and hadn't really thought about using it for making them. Great idea!

I used to check out the cedar decking at Lowe's and Home Depot every time I would go in there and have amassed a collection of perfectly clear cedar 2X4s to make more, I just hadn't had time. It was shameful the 2X4s I found were going to be used in decks, they are beautiful.

Several years ago, I got addicted to catching big fish from my kayak and veered away from sea kayaks. I am also ashamed to admit hat I pedal vs. paddle when fishing, but it is much easier to fight 3 mph tidal river and bay currents that way. But, I am veering back towards sea kayaks and have plans for another cedar strip kayak I want to build for playing in the surf. One reason i built the CNC was for making kayak and kayaking/kayak fishing accessories.

Andre Cooke likes this.
  7. Andre Cooke

Andre Cooke Well-Known
    Builder

Alright, this is moving along quite nicely, I still have a wiggle in my Z-Axis that I need to resolve. I also wish to get a better spindle / router, the dremel, wont do, for a larger carve. But other than that, quite happy so far.

My active cutting area is 30 inches on the Y axis, allowing for gantry, sides etc, my first test paddle is 84 inches long, so it will be required to be carved in 3 sections of 28 inches, I am researching and attemting to design a jig, to accomplish this. Quite a challenge so far !