Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Climb cut or conventional cut Phenolic ?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Hytech2k, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

I have some G10 arriving today to make some prototype plates for the new machine. I've haven't cut G10 before. Any input on the best feeds, speeds, DOC, and bit choices would be great !! Plus will I get a better finish climb milling or conventional? I heard it mills great so i'm looking forward to cutting it. I have 2 pieces @ .375 thickness and one @ .25 if that makes any difference.. I will be using my big machine to cut this so power and stiffness isn't a problem. I also have a "O" flute Onsrud 1/8 bit I can use if need be..

Thanks

Hytech2k

2. Nugz

Nugz New
    Builder

@Hytech2k
    I'm no expert but I would think you would probably get a better surface finish on G10 with climb milling as long as your mill isn’t prone to backlash. I can't help with feeds and speeds, or DOC as I've never cut the stuff, so consider my response a free bump. :p Hopefully one of the guys here who has milled G10 will see this and respond. :thumbsup:

3. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

@Nugz
    LOL, I appreciate the bump but I cut it already.....

http://www.openbuilds.com/builds/clydesdale-cnc.1428/

IMG_8005.JPG

Here are the settings I used for the G10 .25 shank .125 spiral up cut EM .063 DOC spindle RPM 16k and feed @ 30 IPM (50-60 would probably been better, less melting) conventional cut blowing out the kerf with compressed air when you see it clogging up...

The CE Phenolic was cut at the same settings but because it is canvas laced it may have turned out better with a down cut bit instead... Just a bit of fuzzing, not much though...

Hopefully this will help someone else in the future...

GrayUK and Nugz like this.
  4. Nugz

Nugz New
    Builder

@Hytech2k
    Yeah, like I said, you’re going to want to go ahead and use conventional milling. :D
    Thread marked for future reference. :thumbsup:
    -Nugz

5. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

I figured that's what you meant ... :)