Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Cleaning, lubricating linear guide

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Awestruck, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Awestruck

Awestruck New
    Builder

Well it turns out I am building a 3D printer kit, the East 3D Gecko Core X/Y printer, before I got to building a CNC router kit.

For the Gecko kit, there are linear guides, 3 of them. 2 for Y axis, 1 for the X axis.
    The guides came packed in plastic wrap and are all oily as you might expect.

I was curious on what maintenance I need to do on them, and I searched the Facebook Group for the Gecko and one of the machine designers stated none. Somehow though, I think there could be some clean up and proper lubrication done, at least general googling tells me that. Maybe every so often to add lubrication.

So, I thought I would ask the experts here:
    For linear guides, what do you recommend to clean up the oil they were shipped in?
    For linear guides, what do you recommend using for lubricating them after the clean up?
    For linear guides, how often would you think I'd need to lubricate them?

(I'd ask on the Facebook Group, however I choose to not have a Facebook account, that and I like the community here and have learned a ton.)

I have a couple different lubricants on hand. I wonder if BoeShield T-9 is something I should try plus may be something else on the guide part.

Thanks.

2. Awestruck

Awestruck New
    Builder

Here is a picture of one of the guides.

Attached Files: