Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Circle cutting issue

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Maskido, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Maskido

Maskido New
    Builder

Hi there, I'm having an issue when cutting circles on my lead 1515. The start/stop point creates a indent regardless of which bit I'm using. All my screws are tight and I haven't seemed to find a hardware issue. Any ideas?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Check grubscrews on shaft couplers, sounds like slight slipping on leadscrews. Make sure you have a grubscrew on the Flat of the motor shaft, and check both motor and leadscrew side of all couplers

3. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

As @Peter Van Der Walt said plus, if your circles are "pear shaped" that could be caused by tool deflection. What are your speeds, feeds and doc, and what bit are you using.
    As Peter said, a small amount of slip on motor couplers could mean that the bit doesn't move when it should because of sideways pressure from the material - the initial plunge (if it's straight down) won't be affected.
    Check if your circles are the correct size in all directions.

Alex.

#3 Alex Chambers, Apr 24, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
  4. Steve mehrlich

Builder

Have you tried adjusting your lead in? Rather than have the tool enter at 90 degrees to the profile of the circle, try coming in at an angle say 45 degrees.
    I could be wrong but I've found if there is any deflection in the tool as it grabs material it will be more apparent at it's deepest cut which is normally at the end of its slope into material just as it starts following the profile you intend it to cut. Either try that or leave .5mm over on your initial passes then come back and cut that 0.5 away at full depth .
    Black magic or it could be a loose grub screw!!

David the swarfer and Misterg like this.