Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Chatter on my end mill

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by HPB, Oct 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. HPB

HPB Well-Known
    Builder

Hi, I recently built my own cartesian style CNC router with 12mm plywood parts. Its mostly an OX style CNC with mini v-wheels for linear motion on V-slots (because I had lots of them and I didn't want to spend on the solid v-wheels). I can mill 6061 aluminium on this but I see a lot of chatter with boring holes. Here is a video where I'm milling a 5mm hole and as you can see there is a lot of vibration and an awful racket as the mill goes down the material (look at the mist nozzle). I guess this is because the machine isn't as rigid as its supposed to be. Any thing I can do in CAM to counter this?

CAM was done in Fusion 360. This was a boring operation with a 0.1mm step pitch. Material thickness is 6.7mm. Feed was 260mm/min. The tool is a 4mm 2 flute end mill.

Could this probably be because of the delrin wheel based axes? Would replacing them with a linear rails help? Perhaps I'm doing the wrong operation? Any suggestions would be really useful.

2. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Smaller helical bore and then a full-depth finishing pass. Probably also a drop in feeds to maybe 100mm/min or so for the finisher.

Edit: Haha, didn't see the necrobump. Wondered why the video was posted 4 years ago, but some of us address machine problems slowly. :ROFL:

Giarc likes this.