Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Can't fire laser through OpenBuilds control

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by Jack Riley, May 24, 2021.

1. Jack Riley

Builder

I can't get my laser to fire through CONTROL or via Lightburn.
    The Laser does fire from the PS "Test" button.
    My connections are from the black box to the laser PS:

GND = G
    PMW = H
    0-10V = IN

What am I doing wrong?

Cloudray Laser PS.png Black Box.png

Cloudray Laser PS.png

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

IN Should be wired to 5V (always on) or through a panel potentiometer (realtime override)...

Putting 10v into a 5v max input could have killed it already though

Note how your diagram shows "INput control signal 0-5v". Its meant for use with a Potentiometer wired between the PSUs own 5V out, GND and the wiper of the potentiometer back to IN, or some DSPs have a DAC for that. More often its tied to 5V OUT (max power) and laser is controller with PWM into TH.

Panel potentiometer is nice to have though

Secondly, until you add the chiller signal to Water Protection (WP or P terminal) the PSU will not fire. Sort out the signal from your chiller or flow switch too, you didn't mention that above, so not sure if you did connect it. Typically comes from a CW2000 or CW5000 Chiller (signal to go or to stop laser when water gets too warm) , and usually inline with a flow switch in series too to kill the laser in the event of a kink in a hose or other blockage.

These should all have been described in your Laser PSU manuals

3. Jack Riley

Builder

Thanks Peter. I really appreciate your expertise and guidance. After connecting my chiller signal, and jumping the 5V=IN, the laser works fine in CONTROL and fires in Lightburn. This is a custom build (first time messing with lasers). 1000mm x 1500mm Openbuilds gantry set on an enclosed T-Slot frame. I will post pics soon. Working on some lightburn issues now.