Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

CANDLE: Machine Coordinates

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by fritz sonnichsen, Feb 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fritz sonnichsen

Builder

I am using Candle on a 3018 machine. I set up the "work coordinates" with no problem(set the spindle on the starting point of the piece and press the X,Y, and the Z Work Coordinates buttons under "State".
    This runs as expected--the spindle starts in the right place---does its thing.

But then the spindle goes to its "homing position" specified in the machine coordinates of the State panel on the GUI. (Mine shows something like -155,-175). The spindle goes to the upper right on the machine table. I don't want this to be home. Often this is where I have clamps for example.
    This "homing" would be OK if you could control its machine coordinates in the State box but I cannot see anywhere to do this. So I want to change what is in the "machine coordinates" box. I cannot seem to find how to do this in Candle.
    If you go to "control" in the Candle Setup panel, there are two entries. The first is for a Probe--which does not apply here (the 3018 as shipped has no probe). The second entry "Safe Position Commands" does not set the home position. I played with it and in fact it simply sets the spindle to Z0.
    The final G statements resulting in homing are set by Fusion 360 by the way. I think this is pretty standard.

At present I manually stop the machine as soon as it gets to the last position on the workpiece-before it starts to home. (And you can imagine that happens if I am off doing other work at that time!)

Any ideas appreciated
    thanks
    fritz

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Machine Coordinates can ONLY be set by Homing. See gnea/grbl
    install switches, configure Homing.

3. fritz sonnichsen

Builder

Thanks Peter!
    I did some more playing and here is what I see:
    1) Set the spindle anywhere I like to call home (near the middle in my case) and then
    2) Shut the power and disconnect the USB (since it continues to provide 5V to the arduino

Then if I reconnect and turn the power back on the "homing" box shows 0,0,0 and the spindle doesn't move. I can go ahead and set the Work Coordinates as before and when the machine does its thing, it homes to the position described above. I had been looking for a simple mouse/software way to reset this but you apparently have to disconnect.

Nice Github information-I appreciated it
    Fritz

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

That's called faking the home, much more schlep than adding 3 switches and doing it properly though:
    Learn more: How to 'Fake the home'

David the swarfer likes this.
  5. fritz sonnichsen

Builder

Thanks again Peter. You are a huge help.
    My lowly 3018 machine, while pretty useful and amazing, does not have a stop-switch option (the next model up does)-so I have to rely on software to set the home as you describe. With a small machine like this I make mostly "one offs" for our lab and I am content to have the machine stop when the last cut is made, and use my eyes and the jog to release things.

The entries that you sent along on "fake home" are exactly what I needed. Unfortunately Fusion is very poorly documented and there are a lot of options that are not pointed out or described very well. I will play with them some more and get a setup that is best for my needs.

Thanks again
    Fritz

Ponzifex likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.